Forshaws Firecrest

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Henry88
Stickleback

Forshaws Firecrest

Post by Henry88 »

Hi all,

I was recently at a bootfair and came across the above amongst a pile of what was otherwise tat.

The chap who was selling it asked for £15, which I dutifully handed over, and I parted ways a happy man.

At first I thought I was a roach / coarse rod, however, someone on another forum has said its a salmon / double handed sea trout rod - so now I'm unsure. The only things I know for certain is that its 12ft, breaks down into three peices, has a sliding reel seat and is beautiful - so, i would warmly welcome any other info that anyone could offer

Many thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Forshaws Firecrest

Post by Olly »

The rings imply is is a salmon rod. But then they could be used for carp - at 12ft an excellent buy -- whatever it really is!

Henry88
Stickleback

Post by Henry88 »

I think the rings make it look like it should be a fly rod as well, however - and i dont know if its my very limited experiance with split cane rods, but it seems rather delicate for a salmon rod

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

What does the inscription read? I very much doubt that it was built as a fly rod. Nothing about the handle arrangement suggests that. I could be very wrong but I've never seen a fly rod with such a handle or reel fittings. It may have been built as a worming rod or a general coarse rod.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Henry88
Stickleback

Post by Henry88 »

The inscription reads 'Foreshaws of Liverpool Firecrest'

The real seat is movable, but I've not seen many other salmon rods from the 50's / 60's / 70's with movable real seats, and none at all in this particuler format

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”