Cane rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Cane rods

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,would anybody suggest a suitable rod for float fishing for small fish up to a 1lb in weight on a small river?it needs to be lightweight and around 10ft Thank you Reelmaker.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Cane rods

Post by PershoreHarrier »

You might care to try an Aspindale Avondale - hollow built and just over 10 feet and if you have not got one then you should be able to find one at a price which is not a King's ransom.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

chapman 500 :Thumb:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

The Chapman 500 is a great rod but I'd say too powerful for fish to 1lb to be much fun to catch. You want something lighter like one of the Hardy Avon style rods (Allround/Hardy Wallis Avon etc) with a slimmer mid and tip section for greater sensitivity. I've just finished building something similar but made it hollow built for increased light weight and improved balance - lovely for roach/grayling/general use .

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Lucky strike is what you need sir :Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Fosters of Ashbourne "The Perfection" or "Roach Perfection" or an Allcocks "The Sapper"
Mark Davies

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I would take a look at one of the whole cane with spliced in built cane tipped rods such as was produced by Martin James or Sealey. I think you would be looking at 11 foot, but light in the hand and just good enough if a bigger Chub pays a visit.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Penninelad wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:53 pm Fosters of Ashbourne "The Perfection" or "Roach Perfection" or an Allcocks "The Sapper"
Wot 'e says.

Or a 10ft 6in Milwards Floatcraft.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Fatty personally recommends the Harvey Torbet. :Hat:

The rod is simply brilliant and can handle most normal sized river fish. Obviously Monster Salmon, indecently sized Sea Trout, gargantuan Pike and blasphemous Barbel are perhaps asking too much but anything else is fair game!

Hope this is of use.

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Allcock’s Viking, 10ft 6inch, whole and built cane. Young’s of Harrow Windrush, 9 feet and so light I can use it all day on a small river.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”