8ft pike rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

8ft pike rod

Post by TrentFisher »

Evening Gents.

I was taken by surprise earlier in the year by a friend-Mark who deals in classic motor bikes.
He turned up with a couple of rods and reels .The story goes he bought a bike from a chap which was being stored in a small lock up.Mark made a deal with said chap for the bike but the he asked if Mark would clear some of the other stuff as part of the deal.
Mark being Mark see's a value in everything!

Looking through the haul there was

Edgar Sealey float rod 13ft (glass).since re varnished
10ft Abu spinning rod (carbon)
Abu Garcia fly rod with reel (carbon)
flocast mk 4 reel boxed with spare spool
numerous spinners
couple of beach/pier rods
2 x fixed spool sea fishing reels and 1x multiplyer
.......and old 2 piece cane rod (possibly a boat rod)

I was going to make a landing net handle from it.After a closer inspection the handle was shot and the top section was delaminating from the ferrule to about a third up.

Where the idea to convert this in to a rod for dead baiting came from I don't know.
I had a looked through the odds and ends box and found just enough rings.I could salvage the butt ring off the rod.
Next handle .....no corks....
I did have 3 bottle corks given to me which I was going to use for pike floats.I also had a winch fitting for the reel so the plan was underway and below are the results.
I think I will christen it STUMPY OR THE MUMMY due to the extra (long ) whippings on the top section (laughing to myself as I type)
It could break with the first jack or master a double.....time will tell!

All the best
Nige.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott
Tench

Re: 8ft pike rod

Post by Scott »

A work of art! Heath Robinson would be proud...

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

some extra photo's
Nige
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I rather like that! :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Paul_V
Bleak

Post by Paul_V »

I like that too.. brilliant.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

10 out of 10 for recycling and inventiveness! I rather like the modern retro feel of split cane and those bottle cork handles! The worlds first Steampunk fishing rod perhaps?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I like the eighties-style abbreviated handle on an ancient blank, I have a ferruleless cane-to-cane jointed Spanish reed rod that I refurnished with modern lightweight match-rod rings in much the same spirit. Absolutely liberated the blank, it has a lovely action now and is my first choice for light float-fishing, but it wrinkles a few purists' noses!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

bit of a sucker for abbreviated handle's (but strangely don't own any modern carp rods) I think your rod looks great and quite reminisnt of a jw Wilson avon/quiver ,position and dimensions and spacings are spot on .if glass and carbon rods never came along ,this wouldn't be out of place ,people would go for it ,not just for asphetics but think of the savings in expensive cork .might not be a purists wet dream ,but its retro upcycled usability marrages old & new perfectly.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”