Ferruleless cane rod.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Ferruleless cane rod.

Post by Fredline »

There was a debate not so long ago about ferruleless rods and in particular the rod manufacturers description of ferruleless. This unmarked cane rod is exactly as described, ferruleless. All connections are cane to cane with just the bottom section housing a metal reinforcing ring at the female end. It is 12’ 6” over 3 unequal parts with Low Bells Life rings, alloy reel fittings and is very light. Whoever built it certainly knew what they were doing.
ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Ferruleless cane rod.

Post by Duckett »

Lovely looking rod. Home made would you say?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I think if memory serves, there is a description in the book by Lawton Moss about building a rod of this construction, for the home builder
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

It does have a lot of home made qualities about it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 pm It does have a lot of home made qualities about it.
I am absolutely certain that it was not made by my father! :Hat:
Last edited by Lea Dweller on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The centre section of your rod is almost certainly broken as it should be the same length as the butt section. The male part of the joint would be slightly tapered and unvarnished to give a smooth but close fitting joint similar to the one on the tip joint.

These joints are the same as those used in cane Roach poles and I think makers such as Sowerbutts would be the same people originally making these rods.

I have two which were very kindly donated to to me by Bob Brookes, one is a three section and 12ft long, made by W H Norris of Leamington Spa and the other is 13ft long and three sections, made by Ashcrofts of Wigan. Both makers of fine roach poles.

I have also seen a two piece 12ft by W A Allcock with the same ferruleless construction. It was a really light, fast action rod and if anybody has one they wish to sell I would be very interested.

They are generally constructed from Spanish reed or bored out whole cane with built cane tips but there was one for sale on ebay with a spliced in hollow glass tip which looked totally original so the ferruleless joint must have still been in use.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

That's a very interesting ferruless rod .
I have a 5 piece ferruless pole but it is very rough and does seem home made.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I made quite a few bamboo ferrule rods at one time ,they were quite popular. Not difficult to do once you get used to the set up .
Interesting as this is an older rod.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:22 am The centre section of your rod is almost certainly broken as it should be the same length as the butt section. The male part of the joint would be slightly tapered and unvarnished to give a smooth but close fitting joint similar to the one on the tip joint.

These joints are the same as those used in cane Roach poles and I think makers such as Sowerbutts would be the same people originally making these rods.

I have two which were very kindly donated to to me by Bob Brookes, one is a three section and 12ft long, made by W H Norris of Leamington Spa and the other is 13ft long and three sections, made by Ashcrofts of Wigan. Both makers of fine roach poles.

I have also seen a two piece 12ft by W A Allcock with the same ferruleless construction. It was a really light, fast action rod and if anybody has one they wish to sell I would be very interested.

They are generally constructed from Spanish reed or bored out whole cane with built cane tips but there was one for sale on ebay with a spliced in hollow glass tip which looked totally original so the ferruleless joint must have still been in use.

Wal.
Having checked it out closer Wal, you are probably right.It would have originally been 14' and as you say the middle section was broken. It has been shortened until it produced a snug fit.
John Bickerdyke.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Wal, :Hat:
Just one point on your post. I never saw a roach pole ever used in the Leamington Spa area and in all my time spent in Knocker Norris's workshop I never saw one being made or repaired.

See you Wednesday! :cheers:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”