11ft. Rod For Carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Floater
Stickleback

Re: 11ft. Rod For Carp

Post by Floater »

Thanks Rod and MGs .

I'm thinking that I'll work on my casting technique as Dave mentions , and perhaps buy a LRH2 later as I understand the test curve is lower than my Scottie .

:)

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do the letters LRH stand for?

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Aah , I read a post by Allrounder which said " Lawrence Robert Hardy director of Hardy from 1913 until 1956 "

:)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

30 lb. is one HUGE carp!

Is there really a cane rod that can land such a fish and live to fight another day? Chris Yates has done it...but the rod was damaged I believe?

Didn't one of the angling authors just land a monster?? Was it at Ashmead? Did the rod really survive?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

It was a 46lb mirror at Ashmead Nobby and yes, the rod took on a set as far as I know... I think the record on cane is 56lb taken in France... I may be mistaken.... but I will say that I think that a 30' is easily do-able on cane, I had a 23lb 6oz fish on my Sharpe 9'3" and it didn't even break a sweat doing it...

The difficulty comes from Banksy feeling that rods like the Chapman or the Sharpe's are too stiff... if you have a softer rod, then the chance of the rod taking on a set is increased... whereas the Chapman and the Sharpe are ideally suited to big carp...

If I remember correctly Agutter's offered an 11' carp rod (basically a longer, stepped up MkIV) that could cast 100 yards plus and land a 30... but again If Banksy thought that a Chapman was too stiff then I think that the Agutters rod would not fot the bill... its all about compromises I suppose... i think you have to accept that a cane rod capable of casting 60 yards plus and landing a 30 is going to be a bit of a hefty tool, at least a MkIV Carp and thats not going to be a lithe and lissom rod...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nobby wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:01 am 30 lb. is one HUGE carp!

Is there really a cane rod that can land such a fish and live to fight another day? Chris Yates has done it...but the rod was damaged I believe?

Didn't one of the angling authors just land a monster?? Was it at Ashmead? Did the rod really survive?
I've had fish to 36lbs on an LRH 1's Nobby and yes, one does look like it's been through the mill but most of the damage has been done by smaller fish. To be fair, one of my LRH's was a bit tired when I bought it and is now like a dog's hind leg. The other still looked good when I passed it on to Steve Middleton, having had less use in its previous life and I'm pretty sure I had at least one 30+ on it.

Using a 9'+ rod that's designed for salmon is fine for carp. They are built to beat fish that reach 40lbs or more and swim in fast water. I always feel that longer rods tend to put all of the pressure on one spot around the ferrule which can lead to damage or disaster, the more progressive test curve of a lure rod alleviates that.

Of course, if you want your cane collection to remain pristine then I suggest you keep it in a rack and buy some cheaper stuff for big carp. I always bough 'user' rods and if they die, they die a warrior. :Wink:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave,

I don't follow the notion that a longer rod puts more pressure on the ferrule than a shorter rod would, why, what's the mechanics behind that? I'd have actually thought the opposite would be true.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

A really fascinating subject.....but I think I’ll keep my powder dry for a while.

A couple of pics though.

L-R ...1 unnamed rod, 2. J S Sharpes 9’3”, 3. B James MIV

I genuinely don’t know which performs best for large fish at the moment. Testing will be fun though :Wink:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:11 amI think the record on cane is 56lb taken in France... I may be mistaken.
I think it may be the one reported in the thread started by The Sweetcorn Kid in September 2013 ... when a friend of his caught a 52lb. 1 oz. lake record on holiday in France, using an A. E. Rudge "The Streamline" rod which he'd bought from me ... a 2 piece, 10ft. split cane rod.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... =28&t=9389

It may have been surpassed since, of course.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beresford wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:05 pm Dave,

I don't follow the notion that a longer rod puts more pressure on the ferrule than a shorter rod would, why, what's the mechanics behind that? I'd have actually thought the opposite would be true.
It's not so much the length but the rod's action. Most carp rods were made with a through action so the rod described a 'C' when under pressure. I don't like the main fulcrum of a rod to be a join due to the damage potential and - more to the point - a long, through actioned rod lacks the leverage to lift heavy fish off the bottom. I have owned a MkIV Avon which was a bit like playing a fish on a bungee chord. I've also has glass and carbon rods that were the same.

A heavy spinning rod is designed with some tip action to get a lure out but with the grunt further down the blank. You can play the fish off the tip if they are small or give it the butt if it's a lump. The added beef in the lower section will come in useful when the fish is ready for the net but needs some leverage. It is a fact that a shorter rod will tire a fish faster than a longer one, the 9'3" LRH is a great compromise.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”