11ft. Rod For Carp

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: 11ft. Rod For Carp

Post by Beresford »

Dave,

I've never posted any pictures on the forum. I don't even own a smart phone. We need to be discussing cane not carbon here. I do agree that every cane rod is different, that's one reason I like the good ones so much. Sort of like prospecting for gold, every now and then something really good comes up. Most of the worst cane MkIV rods I've come across have been B. James but conversely one of the very best was also a B. James and not an early one either. A friend bought the rod and we recognised that it was something a little bit special.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beresford wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:49 pm Dave,

I've never posted any pictures on the forum. I don't even own a smart phone. We need to be discussing cane not carbon here. I do agree that every cane rod is different, that's one reason I like the good ones so much. Sort of like prospecting for gold, every now and then something really good comes up. Most of the worst cane MkIV rods I've come across have been B. James but conversely one of the very best was also a B. James and not an early one either. A friend bought the rod and we recognised that it was something a little bit special.
My mistake, I was thinking of someone else - sorry :Hat:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Ljm183 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:25 pm Gary Bills Nothing wrong with using a 50 year old Cane rod for Carp.

And you don't have to pay Barder prices to get one.

This 50 year old + Chapman 500 handled this Common of 21lb 12oz with ease and the rod is still as straight as the day it came out of the Chapman workshop.

Taken on a single piece of corn, size 16 hook to 3.2lb bottom. Had to keep it out of large Lilly pads both to the left and right.
Fair enough :Hat: , but personally I think the newer the cane, the better the peace of mind...

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:00 pm

No problem at all. Really I should have written that I've not posted any pictures of where I fish, only the odd tackle picture. :Hat:

Old v's new probably comes down to the individual rod and its quality and condition. I'm not too worried about older rods actually breaking but more them going or being soft after much use. I've never really known if this can happen or not.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beresford wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am

No problem at all. Really I should have written that I've not posted any pictures of where I fish, only the odd tackle picture. :Hat:

Old v's new probably comes down to the individual rod and its quality and condition. I'm not too worried about older rods actually breaking but more them going or being soft after much use. I've never really known if this can happen or not.
I like to think that mine went soft from over use..... and my rod.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 pm
Beresford wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am

I like to think that mine went soft from over use..... and my rod.
Too much information, Dave, and now I'm scarred for life... :Hahaha:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Interesting reading the viewpoints of others.
During the 25 years I worked in the tackle shop we never had less than 600 different builds of rod on display. From short cane brook rods through the whole spectrum to stand up Tuna Sticks.
I was once in the situation of looking at angling for big catfish on a water where you needed to hang on hard, you couldn't afford to be losing much line. Some were using uptide rods, but to my mind they were totally unsuitable for hook and try and hold, type angling. So, I started experimenting with various rods in the shop to find which pulled hard and still retained a pleasing fish playing action. to say I had my eyes opened was a total understatement. now bearing in mind we had powerful shark rods, beach rods and so on, the rod that pulled the hardest against a set of scales was a 6 ft 2 1/2 lb carp stalking rod. It pulled considerably more than any other rod in the shop.
The longer rods, the leverage simply worked against you and the muscles would lock and the arm would wobble with surprisingly little pressure exerted compared to what you thought you were pulling.
Take a look at the world of fishing for proper hard fighting fish, the mighty marlin and such like. Short rods are used for the very simple reason that they pull back much harder than a long rod and the angler can keep them compressed longer too.
I regularly use 8 1/2 ft and 10 ft carp rods for some pretty hard fighting carp and have caught numerous over 30 lb on both 8 1/2 and 10 ft rods, which incidentally are much softer than the longer rods I use when I'm forced to fish at range. The 8 1/2's certainly beat the fish much quicker than the 10's, in fact they rarely ever seem to get their steam up on the shorter rods and the 10's beat them quicker than the powerful rods I sometimes use.
I have played big carp on rods down to 5 ft 6 inch but have learned through experience there is hardly any control on rods that short and certainly not much reach around pads and trying to keep line from trailing branches, plus you get very wet each time the fish boils and thrashes on the surface as it is generally less than a couple of foot away. In my opinion rods need to be more than 8 ft when angling from the bank and I would be happy to play any of the much larger overseas fish I have been lucky to land on my 8 ft 6 inch rods.
I don't pretend to understand the physics at work in the stories related above but there were few winters went by at the shop when I didn't try and find something that pulled harder than the little 6 ft stalking rod. Even the landing net handles wouldn't. It seems there if a length and strength combination which simply allows the angler to pull much harder with some rods you would never expect to pull so hard.
P.S. there was never a cane rod hurt during these experiments. I dare not take those to the extremes that I did with the hollow glass and hollow carbon rods. Similarly I always find myself being much gentler when playing fish on cane and find myself using a totally different type of playing technique.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I think your last sentence sums up what using cane is all about Shaun Harrison.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:04 pm Similarly I always find myself being much gentler when playing fish on cane and find myself using a totally different type of playing technique.
Have to agree with this. As Reedling says, part of what our approach to angling is all about.

Interestingly, I find myself defaulting to my cane playing technique regardless of the rod I am using now!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Floater
Stickleback

Post by Floater »

Oops ! . 😲

Having started this post , I forgot to regularly check for replies .

So a belated thank you very much for all the replies .

I belong to another website , and it's very refreshing to read conflicting views expressed in a gentlemanly and respectful way .
😃

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”