Milbro Paragon float rod F49

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Peter Wilde
Rudd

Re: Milbro Paragon float rod F49

Post by Peter Wilde »

I'm wondering now how much of a "budget" rod this F49 Paragon actually was. It has reinforced ferrules. Was surprised too to find that on stripping off the old rings, under the yellowed varnish the whippings were not as they seemed plain dark red, but had been finished with a narrow outer band of green thread as well. Anyway, will report on how it feels when I fish it.

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Have now had a day fishing with the Milbro F49. Here it is (the upper rod in this picture):

Results - slightly mixed. I had not spotted that the reel bands on this handle were a bit oversize - and would not grip reels with a slim foot. My second cast produced a float only just in the water, and Trudex lying on the ground in a mess of line .. somewhat embarassing! Had to de-tackle and use a Mitchell instead, which the fittings would just about grip.

The rod is certainly quite powerful by general coarse rod standards. In fact it proved too much so for my fairly light float tackle - the one bite of the session proved to be a fast-moving carp that the rod would probably have restrained, but the hooklength did not. Lack of mental preparedness had something to do with this outcome too!

The rod has good potential though. I can replace the reel bands, though this would require some rebuilding of the butt end of the handle. Alternatively, I have several old Strikerights whose rather clunky reel feet are a good match for the rod fittings. So will explore that combination first.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Vole wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm
... I also have a 13' (I think) "Ace" match rod, with so many bits of cane that the "fighting curve" looks like a bunch of flat-spots held together by ferrules and splices. "Curve", schmurve... but it'll still swing a six-ouncer in with scarcely a creak, and hit the bites as fast as anything other than my ferruleless reed job....
Sorry to change the subject, but I too have one of these, a gift out of the blue which I have just refurbished.

As you say, it has more splices than a spliced thing, but for a 13' cane rod, feels more balanced and "fishable" than most 12' cane rods I have handled.
I'd love to know more about it, starting with the name of the company which actually made them?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

The Milbro "Ace" has an oval label, so I don't think we're looking at the same rod. Also, if the name beneath is "Leatherhead", I don't think that town has a Milbro link. Maybe we should have a thread on multi-splice rods?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I would love to see a write up on how that ACE rod handles and the curve it produces Banksy, it certainly looks very nice from what I can see.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Vole wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am The Milbro "Ace" has an oval label, so I don't think we're looking at the same rod. Also, if the name beneath is "Leatherhead", I don't think that town has a Milbro link. Maybe we should have a thread on multi-splice rods?
The label just carries the words "Ace Featherweight", which for a 13' cane rod with a split cane section spliced into the tip, it is!

I think there are 4 splices in total, 3 of whole cane to whole cane, and one of whole cane to split cane.
I shall take it out, count the splices, and photograph it tomorrow.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Reedling wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:11 pm I would love to see a write up on how that ACE rod handles and the curve it produces Banksy, it certainly looks very nice from what I can see.
My apologies for misleading you, that ACE rod has just two splices, whole cane to whole cane in the middle section, and whole cane to split cane in the tip.
But the fighting curve is nicely progressive, and there is plenty of backbone further down when greater pressure is applied:

Those 3" goldfish can certainly scrap!

My apologies also to everyone, for going off the original topic.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

That looks rather nice Banksy, how many Weetabix do those Goldfish eat every day? I have a Sealey Supreme which is whole cane and split and it really is a lovely rod with a nice flow to it. It too has extra power in the butt if needed and fills you with confidence in use.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I have found that a piece of rubber under the foot of the reel to pack out the.clearance works very well. Does not damage the cork and the rod remains undamaged.A very good stop gap till you have the time or inclination to attack the rod!!!!!! Mine is always in the tackle box ready ....Tony

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Tony, thanks that is a great suggestion. I was slowly getting there - very slowly - having made an initial on-the-bank fix by jamming a piece of half rotten wood in the gap (then I remembered the Mitchell in my tackle bag). Have tested the F49 subsequently with a Strikeright pin and that does work, though even with its big foot, the reel is still not as firmly fixed as I would like. So rubber it will be for the next iteration.

A pity Milbro slightly marred what was otherwise a well finished rod with some cheap and flimsy reel fittings!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”