A dabble with cane.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

A dabble with cane.

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All,
I'm sure there is a post somewhere on TFF regarding this, but if I was thinking of a first cane rod for a bit of all-round fishing, what would people recommend? Currently, I'm a glass boy, but am thinking of going down the cane route with something to match up with an Altex no2 / Ambidex / early 300, etc...you get the drift.
I know virtually nothing about cane, but saw a lovely 2 piece Avon at Steve Woolley's and it got me thinking... would I be barking up the wrong street if I was looking at something similar for up to tench on still water by float? My current all-round go-to rods include the likes of Hardy Avon & Swimfeeder, Bernard Sealey Fliktip, etc. I do like a long handle. Also, where to buy and what to look out for.
Thank you.
Regards Cat.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: A dabble with cane.

Post by Chubman »

i would go for a good allround rod ,look out for a allcocks wizard,the early rods with oval badge are best,handles are 18 inches so may not be to your taste
aspindales are good, but avoid the aero models(1947 to1949) as they are hollow built and are prone to delamination

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

An Avon style rod would be ideally suited to Tench, big Perch Bream & Chub... I have read that Chris Yates used one for Barbel but I'd be a tad reticent... I have a Wizard and it's a great rod, although they can be a bit pricey depending on your budget.. If you like the longer handle then maybe the Wizard may not suit, although Wal makes screw in handle extensions (I have one and it works well)
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

If you are looking for an Avon, Jeremy Croxall is selling 2 lovely examples on this site.... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you Gentlemen... appreciated.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”