Help ID a Capella rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Kev D
Chub

Help ID a Capella rod

Post by Kev D »

Impulse buy from a reasobably local Hospice charity on an auction site. The rod was rather under described and I could have ended -up with a 6 foot ,broom handle of a boat-rod but I had a voice in my head going ,"Buy it now....Stop thinking about it. Part with the buy it now price of Β£5.99 you tight wotsit."
I picked it up todayπŸ€—
9 feet long and looks to be original in length.
Inscribed RWB (RW8?) above "Capella".
The handle is 31 inches long
I would guess a powerfull freshwater rod . It has a lovely feel to it.
I've found information on Marco Capella de Luxe variants but my rod doesn't match the descriptions. It seems older to me and the intermediate whippings leave no space for a maker's logo.
Any information would be appreciated.
20190923_131434_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Re: Help ID a Capella rod

Post by Kev D »

A picture of the whole rod
20190923_150207_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Sorry that I can't help, but I have to say that it's the first rod I've seen with as much silk as cane visible!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Likewise, cant help re identification, but it looks like it is quite a powerful old chap, an certainly something to be used, a useful tool in the armoury indeed.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

There are several spots of what appear to be pink nail varnish on the handle and there was another just below the signature. Either this was spilled on the rod or ; I suspect ,a previous owner temporally touched-up some damage with an eye for protection rather than aesthetics. It looked though, as if one of the pink spots was a deliberate attempt to conceal something
Gentle rubbing has exposed the date 1954.
I'm starting to wonder if someone has made a rather good job of smartening up an older rod and didn't want his friends to know how old it really wasπŸ™‚
20190923_185645_resized.jpg

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a Glas-Capella - 10ft glass salmon spinning rod purchased in 1965 I think.

It may be exactly that - a cane salmon spinning rod from 1954. I don't know who made the cane version although I have seen a couple named Capella on that auction site.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Olly wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:42 pm I have a Glas-Capella - 10ft glass salmon spinning rod purchased in 1965 I think.

It may be exactly that - a cane salmon spinning rod from 1954. I don't know who made the cane version although I have seen a couple named Capella on that auction site.
Thank you for that. It cries out to be used on something big (it may have come to the wrong homeπŸ™‚) so you could be right.
It could be almost original but I can't explain a feeling that the rod meant a lot to someone who put their own stamp on it.
It just feels "right". I'll leave it it at that before I lapse into a New Age state of empathy 😏 .
I'm desperate to put a bend in it and a trip to a commercial anagram lake would be an easy option. But... I feel an Arun pike ,if I can find one this winter ,would be a more fitting start to our relationship.
I don't know if the handle fittings help date the rod. They look like cross between brass and German Silver .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A rod for casting herrings or 1/2 mackerel lumps perhaps? Usually hard to find in cane!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Olly wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:33 pm A rod for casting herrings or 1/2 mackerel lumps perhaps? Usually hard to find in cane!
Funny you mention that. I only came by it by chance. I was on a thread on a pest control and hunting forum and a chap mentioned that he had a Marco Silver Monarch that he fancied using for French catfish. Not having heard of a Silver Monarch I googled it - it's a beast-and whilst doing so stumbled across the details of what is now my rod.
Definitely serendipity at work,especially at less than six quid plus a fiver in petrol to collect it!
It'll easily handle a big bait but I've found that Arun pike fiddle with big sea baits and are much keener on something more indiginous or at least moving . Having said that ,an expert(a genuine expert ,with some whoppers to his name )on the river swears by sea baits . So what do I knowπŸ€”? Maybe a wobbled herring would be good compromise?
Hark at me ,getting all technical 😁 I'll be happy just to christen the rod with a jack big enough to to put a bend in it. Wish me luck.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I try to use 2 rods -- one with a large lump (mackerel/herring) -- and one with a smaller fish or sardine or a piece of lamprey or eel. An imported bait frozen - NOT a UK caught fish!

""Silver Monarch"" is of course "" The Salmon ""!! So an excellent choice for bigger fish.

Return to β€œOther Traditional Cane Rods”