Info on martin James rod please

The Martin James Rods forum.
Parky900

Info on martin James rod please

Post by Parky900 »

Hello all
I have recently been given a job lot of fishing tackle by a friend of the family who was clearing her garage after husband left her.
Most of it is just cheap modern stuff, a couple of poles , assorted floats etc. but there are 3 old cane rods.
I would appreciate any help in identifying what they are for 2 reasons
1) I want to use these rods , but need to know what kind of fishing they are suited to.
2) If they are worth anything I would like to offer the lady a fair price for them

The first rod I have asked about on the priory rods forum
The second is a Martin James of Redditch rod , 12ft in length overall, 3 sections. the butt and middle section are whole cane, while the top section is 16” whole cane and 32” split cane. Test curve approx 1lb 6oz . It has 8 rings, a 20” cork handle. The thickness of the tip just behind the top ring (flat to flat ) is about 3/32”.Thickness of the butt section just above the handle is 3/4”. It does not have any set or splits in the cane and the varnish is in good condition. The rings too are in good nick but the top ring appears to have been re-whipped at some time
Any help or info will be greatly appreciated

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Info on martin James rod please

Post by Olly »

Appears to be an excellent "Roach" or "Match" type rod.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

As Olly suggests, that's a 'roach' or 'match' type rod, and looks like a nice example. They are very 'tippy' in action, designed for fast striking, but not for use with larger targets. They aren't the most popular style of rod (but are growing in popularity, I believe). If that one is as good as it looks and needs no work, I'd think an offer of between £50 and £70 would be fair ... but that's just my opinion.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I agree! But please do not try and get a T/C - it is definitely not built for that - light lines and smaller type fish, roach, rudd, dace, etc should be the target.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Yes,only silverfish,but for that a really nice rod which gives you much fun.I fish a 2 poundish mainline
and a poundish cast on mine....

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”