The "Superb"

The Martin James Rods forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

The "Superb"

Post by Wagtail »

Acquired on Sunday for the princely sum of £4 and pictured below, is a heavy split cane rod that is a little under 8ft long. Written in ink above the handle is - Martin James "Superb" - which has faded somewhat but is still legible (more than the picture would suggest).

Does anyone have any information about this rod? I'm thinking of restoring it to use as a pike rod to go with my 4" wooden Nottingham reel and a vintage Auger float :)

On the plus side the cane looks very sound. Someone has varnished the handle :hairpull: and one of the reel fittings has been replaced, but the main challenge will be finding replacement rings. The tip ring is the only one with an intact frame, but the ceramic is cracked and it needs a 6.5mm diameter tube to go over the cane!

Also the wooden ferrule stopper won't pull out. I could cut/drill it out but that will write it off, so can anyone advise how best to remove it?

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The "Superb"

Post by Santiago »

To remove the ferrule stopper I'd take the ferrule off and push it out from the bottom with a piece of dowel! To restore you'll probably need to remove the ferrule anyway!

Nice buy!

I have some spare ceramic rings from old sea fishing paternosters and some old greenheart rods (I think). I f you need some let me know and I'll dig them out and measure them!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Santiago wrote:To remove the ferrule stopper I'd take the ferrule off and push it out from the bottom with a piece of dowel! To restore you'll probably need to remove the ferrule anyway!

Nice buy!

I have some spare ceramic rings from old sea fishing paternosters and some old greenheart rods (I think). I f you need some let me know and I'll dig them out and measure them!
Many thanks Santiago. The ceramic inserts are not the old style that could be replaced, but are built into the frames. I think a new set of rings will be required :doh:

I have tried a squirt of WD40 to see if it will loosen the stopper, time will tell if it works, but if not your idea sounds like the way to go :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have heard that in the past some anglers converted sea paternosters to rings (the ceramic ones) which might be an option should you find it hard to find a set. And I'll have a look tonight to see if I have any proper rings (I think I have a tip ring)!!!???
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Looks very similar to an Allcocks Perfect that I use for pike fishing.That has agate lined low bells throughout.
Mark Davies

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

hi have you tried heating the ferrule up,if you do wrap a wet cloth around the ferrule with the cane in otherwise the whole thing will pull off
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Hi Wagtail

I might have some rings for that rod. If you pm me approximate sizes I'll check when I get back to the UK (in the Caribbean at the mo :Cool: ). I'm sure I'll have at least a tip and butt in porcelain.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

SeanM thanks, I will measure up and PM you - probably at the weekend :Hat:

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”