A little bit of history.

The Martin James Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

A little bit of history.

Post by AshbyCut »

I stumbled across some information about the Martin James company whilst fossicking on the interweb. It is part of a reply to a question someone asked about a rod he has.

"He produced rods in Redditch during the mid 1800's although his family carried on the business for a good while after that. I am Martin James Gt. Gt. Grandaughter and I remember being taken to stand outside the now deserted factory in the 1950's. As far as I know his split cane rods are quite revered, and should certainly be worth something. Martin only had 1 son, William Martin born 1850 although he did have 4 daughters, Helen, Mary{my Gt.Grandmother} Catherine and Henrietta {Hetty}who never married and went to live with her sister Mary's family."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: A little bit of history.

Post by Tengisgol »

I have had a Martin James rod here for years and had forgotten about it until last week. When I found it and put it together (albeit a loose ferrule) it seemed remarkably good (whole cane or reed, not sure, with spliced split cane into the tip).

I have put it into the list for refurbishment!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wildfisher

Re: A little bit of history.

Post by Wildfisher »

I enjoy ASHBYCUT's site and I love the ideas on your site Tengisgol.

I wish I had more time to explore this Traditional site....

Best Wishes
Wildfisher

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”