Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Minnow

Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

Post by Duckett » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:02 pm

I've recently purchased my first bit of vintage Hardy tackle, starting off at the more sensibly priced end with a Hardex No1 Mk2.

She's in good condition for her age with the half-bale working very well but feels a bit stiff winding to me, so I thought I might try cleaning and oiling her. At first glance she looks fairly straightforward from a mechanical point of view but, before I dive in with my screwdrivers, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of any pitfalls in servicing these.

Thanks in advance :Hat:

Duckett
Minnow

Re: Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

Post by Duckett » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Well, it took me a few weeks but it's done. As per suggestions on this site, I took photos of unassembled bits at every stage so I could put it together again and slowly cleaned, oiled and greased each piece. As a result, I now have a reel which was stiff but I reckon now works as well as the day it was crafted.

I've loaded her with 3lb mono and am going to use her for a little light perch spinning and winter roach bashing. I might even see if drop-shotting works with a half-bail.

As indicated by the lack of replies to my o/p, there weren't any pitfalls. So, by accident it was a perfect gummed up reel to get started on!

Thanks to everyone who has left general advice on reel repair on this site, I doubt that I would have dived in without it.

JW1
Silver Bream

Re: Hardy Hardex No 1 Mk 2

Post by JW1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Well done, I've never even touched a Hardy reel but taking pictures as you go is well worth it, even if you think you know how things fit.
How about a picture or two of your handy work, especially some of the strip down.

JW

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”