My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Perch

Re: My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

Post by Duckett » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Watermole+ wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 pm
That is certainly a nice, neat job...Well done!

Please do not take this as critiscm, but it might be an advantage to wind on a few turns of flexible insulating tape on top fairly tautly, making sure that the edges “ride up” the sides a little.

This may prevent the line from “burying” down the sides, when under load...

A commendable first effort though..

wm+
I spent some time over the last few days absorbing everyone’s comments but particularly yours WM. Taken together with Vole’s collapsing cork experience, I decided to give insulating tape a go. Popping into a local hardware store, I found some grey coloured insulating tape which blends in with the colour of the reel rather better than black!

After a couple of practice attempts, the best tools turned out to be a plastic glue spatula and the little finger of my right hand! Below are a couple of pictures of the tape in place and then one of the reel with line loaded (yes, I know, I use more line than some!).

ImageImageImage

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. A further report will follow once I’ve tried the reel on the bank. :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”