Centre Pin Reel project

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Necarper

Centre Pin Reel project

Post by Necarper »

Not sure if this is the right forum...... As the long winter nights and very cold weather approach (down to -17C here !), I have decided to use the winter to scratch build a centre pin reel using aluminium and brass. I have a fully equipped workshop with lathe, band saw and drill press etc so that side is not a problem. I want to keep it simple so staying away from the 'spoke' designs, going for a more solid body - similar to the TF Classic shown here.
Centre Pin.jpg
However short of finding an old style pin and pulling apart to make the measurements which seems to defeat the object, I have nothing to go on. Has anyone got plans or know where they can be obtained or has anyone done this themselves and have some hints and tips.... thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: Centre Pin Reel project

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,I am now making a 3.75 inch Aerial for my small river Roach fishing with a view to having it finished by March when I plan to retire at 70 yrs,but the university usually talk me round to staying on.I design these reels myself going on previous models.My first reel was a copy of a rapidex.Reelmaker

MHC

Post by MHC »

Have a look at http://www.johnmilnerreels.com for inspiration, classic design with a nod to Hardy. John is an old school craftsman originally from the UK but living and working on the West Coast of Canada.

I have a five inch Kingfisher of his with ball bearings, I can give you some general measurements if you like.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Are you thinking true pin or a reel with bearings ?

Necarper

Post by Necarper »

I have some mini bearings actually from an RC helicopter rotor which would suit, so may well use them. Could counter sink one in the drum as they are only 4mm wide, have a 1/4" id and just over 1/2" od

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”