I felt a little sorry for it

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Paul D

Re: I felt a little sorry for it

Post by Paul D »

Lovely job Evert :Hat:

Jeremy.Airey

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello Chaps

(Evert : That's a lovely job and that lineguard sets it off a treat - something I was looking at making myself as one didn't come with the reel.)

Removing the handle and the cleaning went a treat thanks to a dremmel and paint stripper.
That leaves the dings in the rim to straighten out and I need to fill in to gaps in the rim left by that awful handle, the spindle and spool 'bush'(?) need polishing before painting, lubrication and re-assembly.
I was presently suprised at how well it runs even ungreasd and with an unpolished spindle and spool 'bush'(?).
The thing that causing me the most problems is the handle assembly - I know what I need and that's a tubed screw with a countersunk head to fit as flush as possible on the inside of the spool - it looks like I may have to fork out for replacement knobs and assemblies but that just doesn't seem right on a re-furb. like this the costs about £13.00 plus postage for the pair, not a lot but twice the price of the reel.
Does anybody have a DIY solution to the handle post issue?
I think I have a solution and I'll post a diagram for your comments tonight.
I'll post a pic. or two tonight of progress so far.

regards
Jeremy

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Top drawer, what a delight!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Jeremy.Airey

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello Chaps
Here's a progress report and some pictures:

Bogus handle removed and you can see the sorry state it's in - ugh! :Scared:

After some paint stripper and a wire brushing with the dremel it looks a whole lot better

Had a chat with the very helpful Mr Gary Mills re. getting some handles made and he advised that I stick to handle plan 'B' which was to get a ready made set from Canada ( http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/wood-han ... adf71161e9 ) which exactly what I need - I know this is going a little (?) off plan but I never was going to be able or was aiming to do an authentic restoration. I want it as a 'fishing' reel.
So still to do painting, fix the rim and polish the spindle and spool bushing and finally I'll fabricate a line guard.
So not much to do :Chuckle: but so far OK.

regards
Jeremy

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Coming along nicely!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Looking better already. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Jeremy.Airey

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi Chaps

ta muchly for the kind comments.
work is progressing nicely and I,m about at the stage where I need to stop and ask if I need to put it down and not go OTT on the details as when all is said and done it going to be a fishing tool not a display piece.
Since last time I,he polished, de-rusted as best I can and polished and cleaned it up ready for painting as well as repaired thecrim as best I can. The handles are on route from Canada and will be fitted after painting. I do need to clean that little bit of rust on the inside of the reel foot.
The next time you see it it should be in it's resurrected state.
Some pics below.

Jeremy.Airey

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi Chaps

Here we go the 'water' ready and almost finished resurrection, I'm pretty pleased with it considering what it used to be like and I'm an artisan rather than an artist like some of the guys on this forum.

OK I know it's not black but it might be soon though when I get some more black paint - but I like the red with the backplate left plain, I'll be shining that up a bit as time goes by. I look upon it as a promotion from a 'black knight' to a 'red baron' :Chuckle: . It needs a few shims and the excess paint cleaning but apart from that it's good to go after a spray with beeswax.
It spins nicely but not overly freely and will make a nice puddle pig cum jack cum tench and bream reel.

regards
Jeremy

Tru-Cru

Post by Tru-Cru »

Get a bit of mud groundbait and Bream slime on it and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Enjoy.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Nice job Jeremy :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”