I felt a little sorry for it

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Jeremy.Airey

I felt a little sorry for it

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

hello chaps
On a whim I bought myself another 'pin off ebay -well it was only a fiver and I felt sorry for it, take a look at the picture below and you'll see what I mean - it's brutal. :Scared:
it as best I can tell it is an allcocks black knight and apart from the horrendous modification all is well.
What I need your help with is the 2 handles and spindle posts I am going to have to make. I can probably muddle through but can anyone give me advice to stop me making any silly mistakes?
the rest of the refurb should be straight forward involving some filler,paint and a dremel and a lot of time.
I know this isn't up to Allcock's aerial standard but given a lot of tlc a perfectly serviceable reel should emerge.
Any help gratefully considered.
thanks and regards
Jeremy

Nol78

Re: I felt a little sorry for it

Post by Nol78 »

I wil take mine away.

good luck with the project.

Edit: can`t take it away anymore.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that is an Allcock...the Black Knight.

I'll give you a tenner for it if you throw in that tatty old book as well..... :Hat:

Jeremy.Airey

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

I should coco Mr.Knobby - tatty old book indeed - my Xmas prezzie to me.
Seriously though as I know your a bit of a "tinkerer" yourself do you have any tips regarding making the new handle assemblies - a job I've not had to tackle before, I can see how it could be done but I don't want to make any silly mistakes.
The handles are the only bit of the refubishment that requires any fabrication or anything more than elbow grease and TLC and some paint.
Any help or tips gratefully accepted.

Regards
jeremy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the main 'trick' is to make sure the handles don't bind up when their mounting is tightened. Tricky to do if those mounting screws are in fact rivets not screws ...perhaps they used some form of removable packing piece???

Tru-Cru

Post by Tru-Cru »

Does'nt realy matter what you do to it you will only improve it.
Please show us a before and after when done.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

This Allcocks reel was also in a sad condition but it is worth it to refurbish, removed all paint, dents removed from the edges, polish the brass and alloy parts give it a few layers off paint and it looks a lot better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Both of these look like one I got on Ebay a while back and was discussed here see viewtopic.php?f=279&t=13650 though the handles on mine are different, so I'd conclude both are Black Knights. I wonder what the reason was for putting that big handle on?

As ever Evert, a wonderful refurb job. As I'm considering refurbing a couple of mine in the close season, maybe even the Black Knight, what's your preferred method for removing the old paint? And repainting?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

These reels are a bit tricky to refurbish, you can not disassemble all parts just like the Mordex reels but you can use some paint stripper to remove the paint, after that polish the spokes and the reel seat, after polishing the parts use some tape to protect the spokes from paint. the rivets can be protected from being painted with some acid free grease, just tip on the rivets only and leave it there, when the paint job is done (spraying) you can remove the grease very easy but only if the paint is absolutely dry

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”