Please help

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Please help

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello gents,

I was just wondering if anybody could help me out. I feel a bit cheeky asking this and have sat on the idea because of that.

I have an Allcocks match aerial which is in a bit of a sad way. I'd love to be able to afford to send it off to Gary mills for a service but My car's MOT and Christmas has put me in a bit of a dismal financial state at the moment.

So I was wondering if any of you fine gents might consider helping me out. As I said, I don't like to ask but it's beyond my capabilities (I've never been very good with reels), so I thought I'd ask on here.

The reel has never spun properly and after looking at it (I haven't done too much) it seems to be worse. It isn't all gunked up infact it's quite clean but something is rubbing internaly and I can't figure out what it is.

I'll gladly pay all postage costs, I don't want the kind soul to be out of pocket in any way.

Thanks,

Matt

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Gord
Crucian Carp

Re: Please help

Post by Gord »

hi matt have you tried altering the float screw, if you do try it only has to be moved a fraction of a turn and that might get your reel spinning freely
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks Gord, I'll give it a go. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

Inside, I've noticed a rub mark going all around the outer rim (Inside) the reel though. I don't know if anyone knows what causes that or if like you say Gord the float screw may change it?

Izaak Walton

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Matt first thing I’ll say is I’m no expert, indeed far from it. I’d try the float screw first. Screw it in until it rest on the “pin” then back it off a quarter turn. Have you oiled the pin after cleaning it?

As to the marks on the inside. My battered match aerial has the same marks but after a bit of tweaking now spins like a dream. Clearly at some point its been out of balance. Can you notice any wobble in the spool itself? As this may be causing the marks. Taking this wobble out is much harder that adjusting the float screw so be warned.

Failing all this wait for somebody to come along who knows what they are doing!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks Hovis,

I've now adjusted the float screw. Tightened up and then loosened until it was rubbing again, I tightened up a bit at a time and found that it no longer rubs (It was rubbing on the reel seat rivets by the way). It's still far from spinning as freely as it should. I had oiled it, when I bought it (Sewing machine oil) just on the spindle after cleaning it out.

Would adjusting the spoke screws have any effect on the spin or are they a "don't touch" under any circumstances thing?

Izaak Walton

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

My understanding of the spoke screw is they will only take out wobble on the spool itself. Similar to "truing" a bikes wheels. A word of caution in the fact you can put as must twist in as you take out. If you have a go remember to loosen the opposite spoke otherwise you’re liable to strip the threads on the spoke or even worse the spool itself.
Strange it’s catching on the rivets for the reel foot? Have you looked at the “pin” itself to see how it is? It may be worn to a point where it’s restricting spin by creating excess friction.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Touching the spokes is what you should do last!

And it sounds to me that the "bushing" or "sleeve" still has some dirt in it. I would hold it upside down and give it several sprays of WD40 and let it drain out any dirt. Even maybe an overnight stay if it doesn't help. Use a cotton skewer (for cleaning ears) to help the cleaning process. Even uncoiled it should spin smoothly. After that I would check the tensioner if it has one and the drum release mechanism. I have a Fred Crouch where the release mechanism touches sometimes the spindle rim where it goes into to lock the drum. In these cases I need to lift the locked drum a bit while turning it to get it away from any touch. Check this as well. Have a close look to the base if the lower rim of the drum could possibly get in touch of the body rim (Hope my poor explanations are understandable - I am a german). To check that it's possible to settle the drum "unlocked" on the spindle and give it a turn. If it still not spins I would go to have a closer look on the inside of the bushing.

Hope it helps!
Best of luck,
Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I'm not familiar with the tensioner, can you explain which part that is please.

The spool release seems fine and is away from the spool rim, easy to use too.

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Kingfisher wrote:I'm not familiar with the tensioner, can you explain which part that is please.

The spool release seems fine and is away from the spool rim, easy to use too.

You have a Pm Matt.

Wal.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Maybe your reel doesn't have a tensioner. Anyway, your problem does not sound like a very bad problem hard to fix. This experienced forum I am sure contains the answer. Just be patient, someone will have the advice you need.

Best of luck!

Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”