Jenolite

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Jenolite

Post by Wagtail »

Gentlemen, the Jenolite website states that 'Jenolite Rust Removers can be used for the treatment of non ferrous metals for removing oxide and tarnish films'.

My question is, would it work as a substitute for etch primer on an aluminium reel, or is this a really bad idea?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Chavender
Eel

Re: Jenolite

Post by Chavender »

it'll do a good job on rust but wouldn't of thought it'd eat into the surface enough ,and aluminium oxide residue needs eating away/dissolving fortunately that's easly done with phosphoric or citric acid will do that then a quick polish or etc primer too seal . Jenolite is great on ferrous metals (iron based) it will attack the surface but might not enough .

it might but work but its better to be sure and use etc primer .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: Jenolite

Post by Wagtail »

Chavender wrote:it'll do a good job on rust but wouldn't of thought it'd eat into the surface enough ,and aluminium oxide residue needs eating away/dissolving fortunately that's easly done with phosphoric or citric acid will do that then a quick polish or etc primer too seal . Jenolite is great on ferrous metals (iron based) it will attack the surface but might not enough .

it might but work but its better to be sure and use etc primer .
Thank you Chavender :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”