Painting a speedia back plate

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Frenchman

Painting a speedia back plate

Post by Frenchman »

I recently picked up a cheap speedia, the spool is in the original black finish but somebody has stripped the back plate. They've obviously been put together as it's a deluxe back and the spool is a standard wide drum spool without the adjustable thumb wheel but the reel functions as it should.

The easiest thing would be to strip the spool so it matches the back plate but being difficult I'd like to paint the back plate so it matches the spool and return the reel to something like the original finish. Having never done anything like this before I take it all I need to do is gently wire wool the back plate to key it, wipe it down so it's free dust and the spray with acid etch primer then aluminium primer and lastly spray black?

Any suggestions for a good paint that matches the original colour?

Thanks

I'll post some pics up when I get around to sorting the reel out

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Painting a speedia back plate

Post by NiceRoach »

I'd imagine any decent satin black enamel gloss would have the desire effect, the original paint wasn't the greatest.
niceroach

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

satin black is the colour to go for ,you might want to do the spool at the same time so it all the same shade ,they do look nice when done ,you can live with a certain amount of paint loss if its evenly distributed over the reel and they still look good .but a miss match just looks odd ,with a black spool and silvered back .(but look great the other way around ).strip any remaining bits of paint on the reel and either polish it or spray it satin black or Bentley green yeh green would be nice.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The acid etch primer is absolutely essential in my opinion. I have never bothered with undercoat just top coated.
The other way you can try is with stoving enamels, google it.

Frenchman

Post by Frenchman »

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”