Drag washer self made?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Drag washer self made?

Post by OldTackle »

Afternoon gentlemen!

I wonder if anyone ever thought about self made drag washer for our older reels where parts are difficult or even impossible to access. I just had the idea of taking sealing paper which is normally used for engine parts in the automobile or outboard motors corner. There papers of several thicknesses can be easily cut or punched and then have to be sealed with hardening or rubberizing special pastes. Instead of using such I would use drag grease or ball bearing grease. Someone ever tried that or something similar?

Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Drag washer self made?

Post by Nobby »

I've been cutting my own from plastic trays for a few years now. These are for Mitchell 300 series reels and they give a smoother clutch action when the clutch is wound in very hard when the Mitchell clutches can get a bity jerky...maybe enough to snap ypur line with a big fish on.

The plastic trays I use are sold for rat poison here in the UK!

Being so thin I can also use them to correct line lay problems as well.

Michael
Tench

Re: Drag washer self made?

Post by Michael »

To save a huge amount of money, I`ve been making my own drag washers for a while now, using only two materials. For the Abu* range I obtained a small amount of carbontex sheets in various thicknesses, cut with straight legged callipers, with one leg sharpened to cut out the circles. I also use Teflon or PTFE sheet, again in various thicknesses, which I use either the above callipers or punches.

* I don't necessarily use grease with the carbontex drag washers, it depends on how much grip I want....

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”