Basic Reel Maintenance Advice

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Basic Reel Maintenance Advice

Post by Loop Erimder »

Take it all apart make sure you take photos of how it goes back together. Simply wash all the bits and then reapply fresh grease fresh oil too where necessary.

I know of a video on YouTube showing a Mitchell 300 service
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

If I may give some advice Leigh, Sir:

I would rather use toothpicks or matches not to scratch the parts. Be patient with yourself. Then focus on the gears and use an old tooth brush soaked with WD40 to clean them properly. For the sliding parts it may be enough with a good portion of WD40. Only if you after all that are still unhappy when turning it I would consider to disassemble it. In this case make sure that you find a schematic for your reel in the internet before you do it. If you find one don't worry. Just carefully start and do it on a proper working space. An old towel underneath serves best to keep all parts together...

Best of luck!

Christopher
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

If you don't have WD40 (although most of us probably do!) then liquid lighter fuel such as Ronsonol works to dissolve the grease and is safe with paintwork. Old tooth brushes help for scrubbing out the grease too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw_5-rYKng this might be the video Loop refers to above.
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If you decide to actually dismantle the reel do be careful about the anti-reverse mechanism behind the main gear there.....taking a quick digital photo would be a good idea.

But you will need to get the handle of first I expect.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Not wishing to be argumentative here, but I wouldn't personally use WD40 in this way...any residue left might prevent the real lubricant getting to the right places later on.
Since I do so many reels I have a large bottle of White Spirit emptied into a tub and a hundred old toothbrushes and paintbrushes I use. The spirit evaporates off to a large extent when the reel is left in an old sieve to drain dry and any residue won't hold back proper lubricant.

With the style of reel you have there, there are two main issues with regard to lubrication...the rotor head bearing or bush and the handle shaft bush. Getting to these to clean them properly means a full strip down, but if the reel runs well now you might simply need to run some light machine oil into those areas if you can...I'm more than happy with 3-in1 oil for this purpose.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice reels those shakeys I like the 60's /70's 2000 series. I've got a 2011 or is it 12.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”