MP Bell restoration

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Pinkster
Roach

MP Bell restoration

Post by Pinkster »

I recently bought this MP Bell, fixed spool reel. Having never heard of them before, I enquired around a few places and to date all I have is... French made around 1950 odds.
The reel was very tired looking, I am sure you will all agree.
I decided a full refurb would be the order of the day. I aimed to try and keep it "Quite" close to original.

First order was a full strip down while carefully photographing every step, so I can rebuild it!!
All the main components came out quite easily but the main helical gear was a different kettle of fish!! I had to refit the flyer so I had some purchase. Once i got it moving, it became very "Gritty"!! Turns out there was 26 loose bearings! 13 at each end, and they were bone dry. I managed to get them all out and stored safley,,,phew!

The flyer had a large chip out of the top edge but had been glued in,,,,using SOMETHING!!! It had never been painted so this would be polished.

The main body was a dull grey colour so I decided it would be grey again but just a wee bit different. It had also been done using a Stove Enamel, thus making it very difficult to strip. A really good rub down using various grades of wet and dry paper then a good wash with hot soapy water.

Next came the side plate with attached badge.
This had been scratched around the fixing screws,,,,obviously by somone in the past trying to remove it using a Machete!! It was beyond repair, so out came a sheet of 0.75mm alluminium and a replacement plate was made. The badge was removed from the old one and stored.

All the screws, arms, gears, bail mechanism,,,,basically all the bare metal parts, were cleaned and polished. The chip in the flyer was removed, glue stuff cleaned and refitted using a metal epoxy. There is still a hairline but i can live with that. The epoxy was left to set then the chip filed and the whole flyer stripped using the wet and dry again....then polished.

Main body, new sideplate, flyer, drag nut and 2 spools were thoroughly washed and dried then 2 coats of etching primer applied. This was allowed to dry for 3 days then the Main body, sideplate and dragnut were all treated to 3 coats of Vauxhall Moonstone spray paint (Halfords). The spools were given 3 coats of satin black.
The Moonstone painted parts were given 3 coats of clear gloss lacquer and the spools 3 of satin lacquer.

Then came the rebuild. Ratchet assembly fitted, bearing seats greased and 13 bearings positioned in the grease,,,,carefully!! The main shaft was put through the helical gear and this was very carefully inserted into the body, being careful not to un-seat any of the bearings. Nuts fitted at the bottom of the gear and tightened. Main rotor gear fitted and rotor arm fixed in place. Now was the test.
Fitted the handle and gave it a few tentative turns....It worked! I took it apart again and applied a few drops of 3 in 1 and rebuilt it again....even smoother this time.
Flyer reassembled and fitted then badge glued onto the sideplate and this was fitted.
Spool fitted and hey prest........FINISHED.

I am happy with this refurb and i hope i have explained myself ok.
Thankyou for looking.

Pinkster

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Scott
Tench

Re: MP Bell restoration

Post by Scott »

Cracking job! Well done that man!

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Superb, Sir! :Hat:

I always like to see these skills helping to bring our old tackle back to life! There must be something in the beers :Chuckle:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Pinkster
Roach

Post by Pinkster »

Thanks guys,, I really enjoyed this one and OldTackle,,,it is great to see new life in these old pieces, they deserve it.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Awesome, well done buddy!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Skinboy
Silver Bream

Post by Skinboy »

Great job,nice looking reel.

Pinkster
Roach

Post by Pinkster »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Awesome, well done buddy!
Thanks mate, :Cool:

Pinkster
Roach

Post by Pinkster »

Skinboy wrote:Great job,nice looking reel.
Cheers Skinboy :cheers:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”