Wasn't there lately the question: Why a lathe? Well,...

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Wasn't there lately the question: Why a lathe? Well,...

Post by OldTackle »

I will do it this weekend with mine Nobby, Sir. I like to be at a river when I do it so that the stream can take down the line to untwist when I pull it back on the spool.
I think the spool needs adjustment so I will make some washers of different thicknesses to place them underneath. I will put on some 0.16mm, so very fine line. There are still cork spacers on my spool. The clutch is exactly the same as for all DAM's of that period - outstanding!! The adjuster knob a metal one as well. And the handle can be changed from left to right hand mode without opening the reel. Just as the modern ones.
They have very ball bearings, too! This picture is taken from the one of a 285. A number larger in size but when they weren't opened yet they still contain of their bronze dust cap. Unfortunately this is gone on that Microlite for my friend and although intensively cleaned, it is not spinning as free as mine does. I think I might have to exchange the bearing. The size should be a common one. I bought one already. I presume that it will fit. Very sad as the modern ones have plastic dust caps. Anyway, there are easily changeable, that's the main thing.
I hink I will create a thread showing all details of this pristine reel. It certainly deserves it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have found that the modern rubberised dust caps can sometimes cause drag and need to be removed Chris. I like to remove the rear one anyway so that it can be lubricated from inside the reel, but one on the front is surely a good idea.

With so many fine bearing makers in Germany I'm surprised you can't find a metal sealed one.

I'm sure these people will have one, though it won't be cheap:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Produc ... index.html

I've used them for many reel bearings.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Nobby, Sir.

The plastic caps aren't the problem but the too thick grease inside. I tried it yesterday and came exactly to the same conclusion as you wrote here. Obviously we are thinking in the same way. I also planned to remove the plastic cap from the inner side but thought it would be nice to have a new one with a metal cap. :cheers:
I will check, there certainly are some but we haven't had any in our institute's workshop. The reel caused me already high costs and energy so I do not want to spent too much more money. I will service it from time to time so in between I have plenty of time to search for a more valid one. The one I have will do for now with one removed plastic cap.
I just put some line on mine. Very nice line lay. The line I use is 0.16mm (5.51lbs) and maybe a little thin. We will see when fishing. I had to place an additional washer underneath as these got compressed due to leaving the drag tensioned. There is another nice thing I figured out. The drag washer is out of genuine leather. Once oiled again, the drag runs as smooth as you would expect from modern reels. Just wonderful!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”