Handles

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Whiskers

Handles

Post by Whiskers »

So, I've finally got round to removing the handles from a Srikeright Aduraflo Deluxe. They were seized solid and no amount of fettling was successful, in the end they became damaged through trying to fix 'em, so they had to go. It's a cheap reel so let's try and fix it myself.

Thinking of using some whole cane sections to replace them (as another forum member has done). I don't have access to a lathe anymore and my tool box is now limited to a drill, a vice, soldering irons and the usual screwdrivers etc.

I was thinking of using brass bolts as spindles and soldering the retaining nuts on the ends after fixing the handles. I'll probably need to sort out some form of bushing to take up the slack in the centre of the canes. I have managed to salvage the handle 'cups' undamaged so I want to add these too.

Briefly my idea is: place bolt through spindle hole. Add handle cup and secure with nut, solder nut to bolt. Place handle over bolt and secure with nut and washer, solder nut. Make it all as pretty and smooth as I can and go fishing with it.

I just wanted to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or is there an easier way?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Handles

Post by Santiago »

Just sand by hand!!! I've done several handles using no machines whatsoever and they're perfectly round. Simply obtain an 8" section of a 5 cm diameter drain pipe and saw it in half down the length. Now add a few spots of super glue on the concave side and fit in a pre-fitted piece of coarse good quality sand paper, and start sanding!!! Just make sure you turn the handle lots when sanding.

Wally cast gave me this tip some while back and it works a treat!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”