Restoring Allcocks Aerial reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Evert van der Plas
Perch

Restoring Allcocks Aerial reel

Post by Evert van der Plas »

This reel did have some serious problems, most off the pillars where broken, there are some cracks in the back plate that makes the pin it self is loose in the plate. the ebonite rings having a small wobble, the knobs don,t belong on this reel and must be replaced and the holes from the knobs be filled. The back plate is not original but is hard to find some replacement parts so i leave it the way it is. the goal is to be able to use the reel again.

I replaced the pillars, made new knobs, fill the holes, repaired a crack in the ebonite ring, polished and cleaned all parts.
There is one spoke missing and have to find me a replacement or make one. if you have a spare please let me know.
I post new pictures when finished
Last edited by Evert van der Plas on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Restoring Allcocks Coxon Aerial reel

Post by Lea Dweller »

An excellent restoration job, but I do not think that this is,or was, a Coxon Aerial. As You know a Coxon would have had a wooden backplate always. This looks to have been model 5138- T1 from between (1912- 1925). A lovely useable reel but not a Coxon.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

I think your right, i don,t know much on this reel so thank you

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Evert van der Plas wrote:I think your right, i don,t know much on this reel so thank you
It is my pleasure Sir, you have certainly done a great job of making the reel useable again, well done!

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”