Trudex - what can I expect?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Trudex - what can I expect?

Post by OldTackle »

I had the same experience today Duebel. I polished both of mine as I have a user and a collector (which is an Allcock's Match Special but the same reel apart from the batch) and gave them both a long and intense polish. Still can't get them spin over 50 seconds. As you say there is still something touching somewhere. Sound is once per turn so I think it has something to do with the spool and rim. Anyway such issue is minor now as the reels are both spinning very freely now. But it seems that the ReelX stuff is the wrong pin oil. The machine oil I store in the kitchen also doesn't work well. I just can't find my Ballistol which might be perfect. For now I am still using WD40 to thin my oils down a bit. Good luck with yours and please let me know which kind oil you used in the end.

What did MA do to get 1'40" of spinning time I wonder :Confused:
Not that it really matters :Chuckle:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I use singer sewing machine oil, regarding the catching noise it could be the spool latch is rubbing on the spindle grove ?

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Thought about that as well MA. What to do about it? disassembling and polishing?

Good tip with the Singer oil. Will try to get some.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

OldTackle wrote:Thought about that as well MA. What to do about it? disassembling and polishing?

May be worth de- greasing it and and using some engineers blue to find out exactly what's touching what.... just a thought :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

My spool latch actually has some scratch marks. I will polish it tomorrow.
Regarding the oil - I used some vintage sewing machine oil from a little flask my wife's grandmother used for the last time at least 20 years ago. Tomorrow I'll try some valve oil for brass instruments, because we have some at home ...

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Remove the plastic boss by taking out the two screws.Be carefull the spring does not fly out from inside when you take it off. Next Clean inside ,check the latch is straight remove any burrs and reassemble . One final point don't over tighten the screws or you can snap the plastic boss .

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Paul D wrote:
OldTackle wrote:Thought about that as well MA. What to do about it? disassembling and polishing?

May be worth de- greasing it and and using some engineers blue to find out exactly what's touching what.... just a thought :Hat:
Good thought Paul. An Edding should do the same job to identify. But maybe it becomes already obvious when I disassemble the centre boss. I am just wondering whether I should wait until tomorrow evening. I planned to use it tomorrow to trot some maggots after grayling.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Match Aerial wrote:Remove the plastic boss by taking out the two screws.Be carefull the spring does not fly out from inside when you take it off. Next Clean inside ,check the latch is straight remove any burrs and reassemble . One final point don't over tighten the screws or you can snap the plastic boss .
Many thanks MA. I still wonder why the sound appears only once per turn. If it's that latch it should make a noise continuously, no?
In case of my Match Special I know it's that latch though :Confused:
Turn the spool while pulling up and pushing down. Perfect. But just for a while...
I will have a closer look at that latch tomorrow.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The only other thing I can think off is the reel buckled at all ,catching at one point?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've just tweaked up a Perfection Flick 'em...a late Rapidex clone version. Perhaps I should have put some images up? I also converted the ratchet for left hand wind.

Just added a few thoughts on tuning these reels and a conversion to left hand wind.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 79&t=20035
Last edited by Nobby on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”