Match Aerial Disaster

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Match Aerial Disaster

Post by Dave Burr »

Indeed :Hat:

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Dave Burr wrote:Its okay, I've received a very generous off to repair the reel with a scratch built foot. I'm relieved that it can be done as I've yet to use the reel in anger..... although I was a bit angry when I dropped it :roll:
That has to be machined if a one off? Come on now, a little more info :Hahaha: This is a two way information highway is it not?

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Beryl wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:Its okay, I've received a very generous off to repair the reel with a scratch built foot. I'm relieved that it can be done as I've yet to use the reel in anger..... although I was a bit angry when I dropped it :roll:
That has to be machined if a one off? Come on now, a little more info :Hahaha: This is a two way information highway is it not?
I recently got an Aerial off here to get closure on a childhood-long obsession. The reel foot is a dismal full stop on an otherwise wonderful reel. Cast then chromed, it's awful, and badly done too.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beryl wrote:
All I can say is that a TFF member has made an extremely kind offer but that he wishes to remain anonymous. I cannot therefore give you any more details. Sorry, but it's just one of those acts of kindness that makes this forum so wonderful and I hope I can pass it forward at some stage.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Some things are best left unsaid Beryl :readnews:

Beryl

Re: Match Aerial Disaster post wants

Post by Beryl »

Paul D wrote:Some things are best left unsaid Beryl :readnews:
Dear Life! I'm only wondering what the foot is made of. If it's a one off its hardly likely to be a casting, like the original. If the originator of this post wants the genuine item I would happily swap mine for a superior item in lovely brass....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Beryl, Sorry, please accept my humble apologies, thought you may be "fishing" for the identity of the mystery machinest. Think its safe to say it will be in brass. There are members on here that do offer to do incredible acts of kindness and generosity but prefer to stay under the radar. :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I can confirm that the new foot will be made of brass. I have seen a CAD design of the replacement and the work will be done in due course. I shall post images of the before and after when it's returned.

The amount of work involved in such a seemingly minor job leaves my head in a spin. I am and always have been in awe of engineers and artists as their work is well beyond my humble limitations.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Ouch on all counts. Poor reel, poor you and poor wallet. Hope you get it sorted. Think I'd have gone out and bought a cat just so I could kick it. (I do not encourage or otherwise endorse the kicking of animals) ((except wasps)).
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”