Hand built center pin reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Hand built center pin reel

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Right click, should give an option to open link in new window, this will then give the option to enlarge. (I hope)

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That works a treat Wal.
I couldn't make out the size of the ball, but the text refers to it as 1/32". I see in his actual illustration he seems to have a compensating drag on his reel too. I'm not convinced his simple spindle mounting would have stayed true for too long, though.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes its still not great at showing the detail so email me if you want a better close up.

Nobby, I suppose it's the basic reel he is illustrating and the design of the drag and check would be up to the maker to choose. I do like the ball bearing on the pin tip though.
I tried it on a Trudex once and it was very free spinning without any end float, however drum removal meant the loss of the little ball bearing nearly every time so unless you can find a way to encapsulate it, it is going to be a problem. I did think about magnetising it to keep it place.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's interesting Wal...of late I'm more drawn to centrepin-grub screw designs with a bit more contact area to support the oil film, such as the Hardy Conquest. The most free-turning 'pin I have is a late model Speedia...over three minutes and a commensurate easy start-up...just why it is so good defeats me, there is a little witness mark on both grub-screw and spindle tip....something I'd normally try and polish out. Not any more!

I may search for some tiny ball bearings Wal....I'll buy a few dozen ;-)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Nobby wrote:That's interesting Wal...of late I'm more drawn to centrepin-grub screw designs with a bit more contact area to support the oil film, such as the Hardy Conquest. The most free-turning 'pin I have is a late model Speedia...over three minutes and a commensurate easy start-up...just why it is so good defeats me, there is a little witness mark on both grub-screw and spindle tip....something I'd normally try and polish out. Not any more!

I may search for some tiny ball bearings Wal....I'll buy a few dozen ;-)
If you have ever taken an old Mitchell 308 bearing apart, the balls are perfect. File the spindle top flat then drill a dimple in it with a 1.5mm drill or burr. The end float grub screw needs to be flat or slightly domed and with a polished surface.
If you hold a magnet on the spindle retaining screw it will keep the ball in place until you get the spool back on.

Give it a try on an old reel and let me know how you get on.

Wal.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

I've got a no name pin, going to give that a go Wal, :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I do have a 308 race here...a bit rusty though.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”