Rebuilding a VERY Golden Oldie..

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Rebuilding a VERY Golden Oldie..

Post by Nobby »

Moorhen wrote:
I should just mention that MRM does actually have RHW half-bails in one of its' galleries.
I couldn't find an image of a leftie half bail on the site, Moorhen, but then it is running very poorly once again. All I could find was a reference to them being available after A prefix serial numbers started, which of course, this reel pre-dates. The Museum suggest this was in 1949, but we both think that is too early.

An interesting observation about them all coming from the US. Now that I think it through every leftie half bail I know of here in the UK did indeed come from the USA! :Hat:

Prince of Durham, this reel too had THECLA under the pinion gear on the side cover but it had been partly eliminated by some pretty awful machining. It did have a shim under the gear when I first handled it, but of course that could have been added any time in its long history and it may well be the gear, without a shim below it, that did the damage. Just one more thing for Wm+ to sort out.........

Apart from the new old stock bail arm, and a little tidying of the reel foot the reel looks now just as it did when I first held it, the paint worn so thin by use that you can actually see how the molten metal flowed into the die as it was cast, particularly around the stem leading up to the reel foot. Some slightly rough filing of the cast 'flash' there is left with little traces of paint still in the file marks, polished smooth now by the fingers of hundreds of hours fishing.

I'd not heard the word 'vibe' before, but it sounds so much more pleasant than 'patina', which always suggest dirt to me........

Moorhen

Post by Moorhen »

Sorry, Nobby, we're at cross-purposes on the MRM. I thought you said that RHW reels weren't mentioned there at all, whereas they are referred to in the photo gallery of 3rds. As you say there are no images.
I never understand why people use the word "Patina" as they do, although we all know what is generally meant by it. According to the dictionary it actually means " the green incrustation that covers ancient bronzes ". I like vibe which suggests to me a well loved and much used item with appropriate wear. This wear actually gives each item its' individual character. I can appreciate a well re-painted reel, but the end result is somewhat bland.
The reel in this thread is the ultimate example of a piece that has been restored back to useable condition whilst still retaining it's original vibe. Something that I had thought was impossible.
My dictionary doesn't contain the word vibe, but my wife assures me it means a feeling or atmosphere. Funnily enough, Fender and Gibson are re-creating their classic old guitars and for an extra cost they will "relic" them; which means adding wear to give vibe. The more wear added; the higher the cost.
Something similar would be quite appropriate with reels also. It would be fun learning how to re-create signs of wear.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Very nicely put Sir :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Absolutely superb Wm, "Technical perfection" improved.

Not sure about "vibe" though, I prefer the term "love worn" :Thumb:

Wal.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Such a pleasure to read how a true craftsman goes about a restoration.

Thank you. :Hat:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Absolutely stunning restoration Wm :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”