Scratch on wooden reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Scratch on wooden reel

Post by Mark »

I have a Slater latch wooden reel with a similar scratch mark as in the picture below.

I am going to sand and varnish the reel but if the scratch looks a little too deep to completely sand out what would be best to use to fill the scratch mark before varnishing.
Reel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Scratch on wooden reel

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mark, I think you would have to mount the spool in a lathe and fully refinish it to get that out. Otherwise it is probably best left alone and just varnished a few times, lightly rubbed down and varnished again or you will end up with a lighter area where you have rubbed it down.
If you do want it refinishing on the lathe just send it over and I'll do it for you.

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

You can get products for scratch repairs on furniture and then finish with a few layers of wax polish. Probably won't make it disappear completely but we all have battle scars. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Wal's right Mark, it's like a scratch on your car, you "mask" it but it will always be there. You can get wax sticks for use on wooden flooring and furniture but there only ever temporary in my experience. Let Wal give it a skim on his lathe. :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the advice chaps. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

A scratch like that is difficult to remove completely as wal said the reel would need to be rubbed down completely removing the old finish and a small amount of the wood.
The difficult part is replacing the patina.
Personally I would leave as it is

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

Leave it as it is.The scratch is part of it's history.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

You can try to collect the dust after sanding the reel and use that to make a repair on the scratch just mixed it up with a varnish to make a pasta from the dust that you can use to to fill up the scratch

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”