Getting into the Groove

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Banksy
Brown Trout

Getting into the Groove

Post by Banksy »

Is it possible, or even necessary, to replace the bail arm roller bearing of an Altex No. 2?

It looks as though the roller bearing may even be part of the bail arm itself?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: Getting into the Groove

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,this thread has been discussed quite recently so it must still be there to read,Reedmaker

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Thank you ReelMaker.

My apologies, I should have searched for this topic before posting.

My reel would benefit from a new bail arm roller and a bail arm spring, but where might I source these items?

As a newcomer to using and maintaining vintage tackle, I am lost as to where to start.
Internet searches usually lead me back to this forum, but many of the threads are three or four years old.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I don't think it was ever meant to be a line roller as fitted to modern reels, more of a fixed guide for the line to run around. If you slacken the screw, the guide can be turned through 180 degrees to give a new smooth face on the line side.

Wal.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Thanks Wal, I'll try that first.

As suggested on the other thread, I may need to file down the end of the pin, which looks as though it has been flattened off sightly.

Now, where's my Surform? :Confused:

David.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,the roller could be replaced if a engineering co would make one out of high carbon steel and then head treated,and that would be an easy part to make so I do not think it would be expensive,perhaps someone on the forum could help.I am now retired and do not have access to a lathe otherwise I would make one free of change.Reelmaker

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I know from my readings on this forum, that Garry Mills is in no need of a further accolade from me.

However, I sent this reel to him, asking him if he could fettle it for me.

He telephoned yesterday, saying that he had examined the reel, and gave me his opinion on exactly what the reel needed - and did not need - doing to it.
He gave me what I thought was a very reasonable price for the work, and I asked him to carry on.
We also had a very pleasant chat about the Altex, the craftsman at Hardy's who had built it, and other matters.

Today - I received the reel back, with a new roller, a new clutch spring, and another new spring, all fitted.

I am delighted.

Thanks to this forum, and to Garry, for making this possible.

:Thumb:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”