Mitchell 324 advice please

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Mitchell 324 advice please

Post by AverageAngler »

Hi all,
My love for fishing with vintage tackle has been a bit of a slow burn that has recently sprung viciously into life. I seem to be having more luck getting reels than rods so far :Chuckle:

I have picked up a couple of 324s cheap to replace the first decent (don't smirk) reel I bought as a kid (that was stolen several years ago when my rented garage was visited by scumbags).

Anyway they both need a clean and grease/oil which I can handle but I always wonder whether the washers in the spools should be dry, or greased or oiled or a mix of both or who knows what? Can anyone advise please.

Many thanks

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Mitchell 324 advice please

Post by Beresford »

The white felt washer behind the spool and on top of the spindle goes in dry, eventually I think a little atomised oil gets into it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

Thanks for the info. On mine there is one black washer under the tension adjuster thingy which is dry on both spools and one beneath the spool (between it and its base plate) which is dry on one spool and oily on the other. So I think I will take your advice and keep them all dry (once I remove the oils that is).

Cheers

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have three – I don't have washers under the tension adjusters on any of mine and by the sounds of it I should. I guess I ought to find a diagram of the reel and see what I'm supposed to have.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

All three of my spools consist of the following components...in order of reassembly

End plate with spindle and bent metal spring thing to make a clicking noise when the drag gives line
Hard black fibrous washer (big hole narrow width)
Plastic spool
Hard black fibrous washer (small hole wider width)
Spring loaded metal washer
Adjuster nut thingy

Hope this helps. A picture would have been better :-)

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you – what an idiot I am – the reels I have three of are 320's not 324's and a are rather simpler design. The system of the 324 sounds closer to the 300 so I'd still say they should be dry.

The 320s use a white felt pad between the back of the spool and the spindle plate.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”