Restoration project.

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Restoration project.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Pafpuff wrote:I've said it before, Wal you're are a clever bugger :Wink:
Thanks Paul but wait until you see what I have come up with for making the knobs, you'll absolutely love it (if it works). :Hahaha: (Guaranteed to fail big time now)

Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Pafpuff wrote:I've said it before, Wal you're are a clever bugger :Wink:
Thanks Paul but wait until you see what I have come up with for making the knobs, you'll absolutely love it (if it works). :Hahaha: (Guaranteed to fail big time now)

Wal.
Come on Wal, you're teasing us now...

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Astonishing work Wal. I'd love to pop over and watch you work on something sometime, if you could stand the million questions and the ten thumbs picking everything up. Ha.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

That's absolutely fantastic, such talent. Thank you for sharing it with us.. :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Right chaps, here's the final chapter on this reel.
I decided after looking at other Slater reels that the winding knobs needed to be horn or bone and couldn't find anything in the workshop but I did find some old toggles from a duffle coat which are simulated horn. Perfect I thought and got stated on them this morning.

ImageImageImage
Its funny stuff and prone to cracking with heat so had to be turned and drilled slowly. The knobs are lined inside with brass tubes to make them move smoothly and prevent premature wear. This tube is bits of old telescopic aerial from a transistor radio.
The nuts were turned down to fit inside countersink holes in the faceplate to prevent the line catching on them inside the drum.

ImageImageImage
And there they are fitted to the reel. They do look like horn so I was very pleased with the result.
ImageImage
I will do a couple of pics of the finished reel just now.

Wal.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The final pictures of the reel completed and running very smoothly.

A bit on the heavy side for light trotting but a perfectly usable reel for any other method.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Thanks again for all the kind comments and help fellas and a really big thank you to Ron (Kirpan) for sending the reel to me.
My wife has already shown an interest and says it will look nice next to the wooden reels on the sideboard, (well trained or what). :Thumb: I will give it an outing from time to time too and report any successful sessions.

Wal.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That's lovely Wal :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Utterly marvellous work, Sir !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

An absolutely First-Class job... It is difficult to see how this could have been done better..

You are to be congratulated for such a project, from taking on such a neglected reel, to bringing it back to life..Well done! Well done indeed!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Amazing to see a broken piece of tackle reborn and ready to use; or sit on the sideboard and be admired. :Wink:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”