Strike Right Tideflow Advice

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
JW1
Grayling

Strike Right Tideflow Advice

Post by JW1 »

I have just bought a Strike Right Tideflo reel for the princely sum of £4, in the advert the condition looked pretty awful, just right for my first practice refurb project, however when it arrived did not live up to expectation;
Apart from a little paintwork its a fine reel and could be used straight out of the box, which it came in.
So I may still start work on it but could do with a little advice on 3 items;

1. what is the correct method of removing the spool, I have found that a combination of twisting and pulling the tension knob releases the spool but there must be a recommended method.
2. the spool turns freely but not like a trotting pin, the spool bushes are nylon, would a little bit of reaming improve this.
3. to repaint the spool I would need to remove the alloy pillars, what could I replace these with as I assume nobody makes these anymore and I don't have access to a lathe.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated, I think this would make a good pike reel for the comming autum.

JW

Bjp
Chub

Re: Strike Right Tideflow Advice

Post by Bjp »

The idea behind the reel is actually is in the name it was not meant as a trotting real but i would describe it as a early form of bait runner you set the tension so the flow does not take line but a fish would thats why the further you tighten it the more it takes to turn it, getting the spools off is an art form in itself but you basically turn the knob all the way round and pull off when the flat of the screw is lined up with the flat in the hole( even though you cant see it) i have two one is a pig the other is easy

regards

bjp :Hat:

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Thanks Bjp, I had a feeling would say that about removing the spool.

JW

Bargee
Bleak

Post by Bargee »

Nice! I would't bother painting that it looks great to me. I have one I use on my narrowboat and when I'm out cruising it lives on the roof come rain or shine permanently fixed to a tatty old Bob Church boron spliced tip 12' match rod. I makes a lovely light 'disposable' outfit. My old Tideflo is a rust bucket but I do like it! Like you I found the spool infuriating until the same advice was given!!!

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

You probably already know this but I noticed the ratchet is directional i.e. stronger in one direction than the other and you can turn the pawl around to face the opposite direction making the reel reel work both left and right handed. I like these little touches makes the reel stand.

JW

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Well I think I have cracked the removing the spool malarkey. I also feel a bit foolish as going through some old posts on this site, someone had kindly copied the instructions for another Strike Right reel and it seems it works. Simples!
Just undo the tension nut until you feel resistance then press down on it whilst holding the spool, then keeping the downward pressure on the nut, unscrew it, just like a child proof bottle top, Doohhh!
It works well on mine and hopefully it will on yours.

JW

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

the centre drag is quite good ,makes for a good tench / carp reel so long they're not huge .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Chavender wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 pm the centre drag is quite good ,makes for a good tench / carp reel so long they're not huge .
That shouldn't be a problem for me.

JW

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”