Bad running pin?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Bad running pin?

Post by OldTackle »

I always found one or two of my old pins (Youngs and Allcocks Flick'em and Trudex) not as free running as they should. However a few good advices can be found in here using the search function but non of them really made my reels run to my satisfaction. Most of the comments are regarding the spindle and which areas to polish. All very good advice. But if you still find your pin not running as free as is should - this is what I did:
I thought the bushing could also build up accretions in certain areas but I couldn't spot them by eye. Anyway I gave it a try to polish the internal bushing. I removed the center cap of the spool including the spool holding mechanism. Now you have the full diameter of the bushing accessible. I took some cotton buds and cut them in half, put the plastic end into my akku drill and placed some diamond polishing paste on the cotton bud. I worked the whole internal area of the bushing with several buds and paste from 6 micrometer to 1 and that worked a treat! I now have them as free running as I wish them to be and cannot recommend this highly enough to people having the same issues.
So together with polishing the spindle and center grub screw as well as the spool holding latch I think even the worst performing pin can be re-transformed in a 'runner'.
:Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Bad running pin?

Post by Match Aerial »

Nice one Christopher well done mate

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

That's a brilliant idea. I will try that on may trudex. Although the spinning problem helps wallis casting...
Thanks for posting, Bobby

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Bobby Marlene wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:23 pm That's a brilliant idea. I will try that on may trudex. Although the spinning problem helps wallis casting...
Thanks for posting, Bobby
Well, on the Trudex and many other reels you will have the tensioner facing that, Bobby :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”