Saving damaged spindle tips and grub screws

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Saving damaged spindle tips and grub screws

Post by Nobby »

A little bit of a dip on the tip of a centrepin shaft, or spindle actually holds a reservoir of oil and can help a reel spin really lightly, but occasionally there is so much damage from poor maintenance you have to step in.

Now I'm not saying this is easy, it's something you have to reach yourself to do, but if you practice on a flat worktop first, you should find you can, in time, grind flat a spindle tip or grub screw base, ready for polishing. Physical trainers call it establishing a 'muscle memory'...I call it 'practice makes perfect'.

I use a small fine knife sharpening stone that was actually intended for the initial work on a cut-throat razor. Not fine enough for the final edge on razors you actually finish these on a canvas cloth impregnated with fine carbon dust, a 'strop'. But they do a good initial job on spindles too. You want 1000 grit, anything else is too coarse...try a 3000 if you can find one.

This Trudex spindle has a rounded top..it's harder to do but it can be done with patience

And if you reverse the grub screw in its boss, or in the case of a Perfection Flick Em which has no boss, screw it into a bit of hardwood with a small pilot hole drilled first, you can hold it firmly enough to do that too:

This Trudex grub screw had a huge dimple in the middle. That has been 99% polished out with a stone and is now ready for polishing to a high finish with cloth

Having removed any damage you can start working on a slight radius on the grubscrew, before polishing both out completely.

I use Solvol Autosol and then Brasso to finish, but I am sure there are other polishes that will do too. I use a strip of cloth, a seam from a tracksuit preferably and hold either end of a strip and 'buff' across the work piece. Then for five minutes you polish in a small circle. The above images had just 30 seconds circle polishing, so you can see that it's possible to get a very good finish indeed.

If you've bought an absolute nightmare, you could just polish the spindle tip flat and put a new, rounded tip, grub screw in instead:

http://www.screw-shop.com/standard-stoc ... t-pack-100

Polish as before and it will spin and it will fish.

Michael
Tench

Re: Saving damaged spindle tips and grub screws

Post by Michael »

I use not a dissimilar process Nobby....The only thing different, is that I`ve been fortunate enough to get hold of some brass grub screws, and therefore no steel to steel contact.....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that's a sound idea, grub screws are easy to replace..spindles not so much.......

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Totally agree Nobby....
The last seriously damaged spindle I did, was totally knackered on the top, It looked like someone had drilled into it a few millimetres. Fortunately I was able to take that spindle off and replace it, with another of the same design, from another free bee knackered pin, I had acquired. The only draw back was, a few evenings of polishing it in, It now spins like a dream
The only other real problem I`ve found, is obtaining the correct pattern of brass grub screw in the first place....

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've started another thread here to identify the threads used and am also including the original length, though you might have to cut one down to that length if the exact size isn't available.

Another last gasp trick.....and there's no going back from here.....is to flatten the top of the spindle and remove metal by the same length as the diameter of a small ball bearing which is used to replace the removed metal. It'll spin like a top, but you can't really strip it at the bankside unless you take some spare ball bearings with you.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've started another thread here to identify the threads used and am also including the original length, though you might have to cut one down to that length if the exact size isn't available.
viewtopic.php?f=407&t=25552

Another last gasp trick.....and there's no going back from here.....is to flatten the top of the spindle and remove metal by the same length as the diameter of a small ball bearing which is used to replace the removed metal. It'll spin like a top, but you can't really strip it at the bankside unless you take some spare ball bearings with you.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Here is one supplier of a variety of grub screws:

http://www.screw-shop.com/standard-stoc ... grub-screw

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”