Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Lea Dweller »

More stunning update pictures, the project is coming along nicely!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Thank you very much sir for your reply, I understand the lingo as they say,I can also walk the talk sometimes. I also have some machine tools and understand technical terms and to be quite honest with you, it is the best way to explane your project to the audience. Thank you very much for your time I think it adds to the project, Looking forward to the next episode.

I have an idea they accidentally dropped the die for the reel on the floor and it cracked making it unusable , fred crouch then had to make them them with a smooth backplate and that applies to the other allcocks Aerial reels and not the project reel. hey what do I know - heresay!

Trevor

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Nobby wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm So the lathe just became a mill! A profile copier mill. Which didn't probably even exist when the lathe was first made.........maybe it did, but the question is too complicated for Google. Leszek, we just gave Google a headache...... :-)

Pantograph?
I too was wondering about this Nobby. I think rather than the lathe became a mill, the cutter is being held motorised toolpost and the "work" is being held in the lathe chuck. I'm assuming that if you rotate the spindle on the lathe, then use the cross slide to feed the mill cutter in and out meaning you'd be able to make the shape required. All this is fairly easy and the real skill comes in using a template to accurately cut the shape with accurate repeatability. Or I might be way off the mark.....it's happened in the past.
Last edited by Hovis on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think....just think mind, that in images 4,5,6 & 7 the work is on the slide and the cutting tool is in the chuck. Apparently this is important for baffling reasons , but it's all far too technical for me I confess.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Yes, in those images the work is indeed held in the x2 previously mentioned angled plate which are bolted to the cross slide. The mill cutter is indeed in the lathe chuck which, I assume, gives more torque and control. There's also, what a assume to be a home made, indexing table behind the work to allow it to be rotated and any excess material cut way.
I don't confess to understand half of what a going on but I know I like it!

Izaak Walton

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Thank you for all the nice comments so far-and apologies if it sounds a bit technical at times!
I hope that you will not mind me omitting the odd machining detail but it would make for extremely long and boring posts if every single operation on every part was included.

Carrying on from last time then, the next step was to cut away all the surplus material from the back to bring it down to thickness (more bags of swarf..)
This is what we started with and this is how it is now...with more to come off yet!

As this will be a left-hand wind version, I have to remove the right hand lineguard lug. There's only one way to do this-make 'piles with files'!

All gone!

It looks a bit 'chunky' still because I have to put the radii on the edges and blend everything in...more filing-but that's for next time!

Stay tuned..!

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

That looks hot work indeed.

Look, even the vice handle has had the wm+ treatment.

Izaak Walton

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Please don’t spare the technical, obviously within reason, it’s a chance to at least appreciate the technical expertise needed. It’s fascinating. I’m so enthralled by these kinds of posts. I’ve got a close friend whose an engineer with an enviable workshop that I’m getting very close to strong arming into some tutorial sessions. Not to make reels, but to make something just to say I can.

Would The original companies that made such reels have a similar amount of waste metal? Just a thought from a previous post with the big bag of swarf and since you mention it in this post.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Watermole+ Sir,
Please continue to provide us with the technical details which are both fascinating and more importantly, inspirational too.
Thank you for the detailed explanations and Photo's :Hat:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Keeping a close eye on this thread. It's far more riveting than anything on the telly.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”