Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Watermole+ »

It's about time you had an update on this. Sorry again for the delay but have been a bit busy!

I don't mind admitting that it has been a bit of a head scratcher, working out the best way to make the backplate, but in the end my CamCopier attachment did the trick so here are just a couple of pictures of the results so far.
These were far better than expected and the sizes were held to within 0.002" of the camplate.

You will notice that there are three lineguard lugs instead of two. This is because I am offering this reel in both left-and right-hand wind versions and rather than make up a new, mirror image cam plate, (it couldn't be just turned around, in case you were wondering) It will be easier to make the backplate with lugs for both sides and just file off the one not required.

The next big job will be to cut away an awful lot of metal to leave the reel seat. This is intensely annoying as the bed centre height of the lathe is 3 1/2" and a mere 1/8" too low to do it the way I would have liked. However, I think it will be just about do-able with the aid of two right angled plates screwed together...

...watch this space!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wonderful, and so clever :Hat:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Superb!!!

Dendrobaena
Silver Bream

Post by Dendrobaena »

Excellent stuff :Hat:
"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I don't understand how you are doing it, but it is amazing :Confused:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

It’s reading threads like this that make me want to track my careers advisor down and give them a damn good thrashing. Amazing work, just wish I understood it.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Magic.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Not only do I enjoy seeing the reels you build and how you build them but I also really enjoy your photography skill too ... bravo :Hat:

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello Watermole, Silly qustion from me sir, I have machined T6 aircraft alloy in the past and know it is harder than normal aluminium, how many milling cutters are you expecting to go through making one backplate ? a rough idea would be usefull as I have to make a new backplate for a damaged Allcocks Match Aerial that I bought a couple of years ago.

I figure it will be along the lines of a Fred Crouch Match Aerial when completed and of course that's when I get around to starting my repair project. I am looking forward to your next post on your project.

Trevor

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Lovatt wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 pm Hello Watermole, Silly qustion from me sir, I have machined T6 aircraft alloy in the past and know it is harder than normal aluminium, how many milling cutters are you expecting to go through making one backplate ? a rough idea would be usefull as I have to make a new backplate for a damaged Allcocks Match Aerial that I bought a couple of years ago.

I figure it will be along the lines of a Fred Crouch Match Aerial when completed and of course that's when I get around to starting my repair project. I am looking forward to your next post on your project.

Trevor
Thank you Trevor..This metal is surprisingly docile and well-behaved if you take care with your speeds and feeds..and use coolant of course! (You will need to guard it-or get a coolant bath!) Cut it dry and you get metal adhesion problems.
I cut this one out of a blank billet using two cutters, one for roughing & one for finishing, both Tialn coated solid carbide 8mm long series, using 0.020” depth of cut per pass for roughing out and two cuts of 0.004” for finishing. Good cutters will cost about £50 plus but are so much better to use. Ideal cutter surface speed is 600 feet/min. but my old lathe cut best at about 1250 rpm for Turning and facing, which is well short I know, but I have to take it easy with her..she has a lot of work to do for me yet..! With regard to your own Match Aerial backplate, I don’t think you will have any problems with good quality, coated carbide tooling, just watch the cutting speeds and feeds.
Initial examination of both cutters after profiling use suggests that these will cut out all six reels and a lot more quite easily so I don’t think I will be buying additional ones yet..

Sorry if this post sounds a bit “techy” but it’s a kind of language you have to use when describing this.

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”