Strike Eight Ratchet Handle

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
JW1
Grayling

Strike Eight Ratchet Handle

Post by JW1 »

I want to repaint the back plate of this little Strike Right, to do a proper job I feel the ratchet knob needs to come of to get a full covering of paint.
It looks like it was pressed onto the ratchet stud, could anyone help me with how to remove it without major damage and once removed, can it be refitted.
ImageImage

I had thought of repainting the drum but I think it will clean up nicely.
One question regarding the handles though, they appear to be fixed, should they turn freely as it feels odd having to let them turn in your fingers.

JW

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Strike Eight Ratchet Handle

Post by Nobby »

Yes the handles should turn. Sadly these pressed reels can be difficult to save once corrosion has got it there...though I'm told vinegar or cocoa cola can work wonders!

The check button is pressed together too and I don't know of anyway to remove it for painting...I fear you would have to destroy it in the process and make a new one and matching dolly to press that home. I wouldn't say that's impossible, but it certainly isn't easy....and I'm not actually sure how they pressed something like that home but still allowed it to move......removable spacers?

Have a read of this thread:

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... ed+handles

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Thanks for the response Nobby, I've tried heat, vinegar and WD40 but still not budging, was thinking of trying one of those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners, anyone tried these?
As for the check button I came to the same conclusion, Evert suggested light sanding underneath and then painting 1 coat with the knob still in place and then moving it across for the second coat, which is definitely a possibility.
I was using the reel as a practice run for my Dowlings as the reel came with a job lot and was basically free however I since handling it I really like it and hope to be using it for real soon.

JW

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

JW1, about handles not turning, the various ideas in the thread above from Nobby have helped me with several examples. Using kettle descaler (not necessarily under pressure) has often worked. I've found it can leave a white deposit on the black plastic of the handles, but it is possible to rub that off once the handle is turning OK and the descaler has been washed off.

I haven't tried to get a check knob off so can't advise on that. Do let us know how you get on!

There are a lot of cheap Strikerights about and quite a lot of different models. Recently I've been unable to resist collecting a few (well, 10 actually or is it 11? ... Help!!). They tend not to spin very freely but there can be a big difference between the better ones and the worst examples. The ones I've cleaned up have all proved very usable at least for short range fishing, so good luck with yours.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”