Gummed up fixed spool reels

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

Gummed up fixed spool reels

Post by Duckett »

Late last year I was lucky enough to pick up a 1969 Garcia Mitchell 500 and a hammered metallic green/blue ABU 444. Both in good cosmetic condition but completely frozen.

Well, I’ve taken the opportunity provided by the big freeze to strip them both down and clean them up. I’ve just put both back together and the seem to be working perfectly.

Now, whilst I am very grateful to the anglers who packed them with so much grease that they stopped working - they wouldn’t have cost me so little otherwise - I do have to ask, what sort of angler thinks that simply packing clean grease on top of dirty grease will fix any problem?

These are the 3rd and 4th fixed spool reels I’ve picked up like this - I got a Delmatic and a lovely swan neck Ambidex that way. Is this a common experience? I always assumed all anglers were like the ones I know, they care for their tackle.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Gummed up fixed spool reels

Post by Black Prince »

Yes I look after my tackle money was in very short order when i was a boy so had a rod reel and landing net and would wander miles of canal lose it I wouldn’t have got anymore so I tend to look after my possessions can’t understand anyone who doesn’t :fishing1: mike

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Duckett wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:45 pm Late last year I was lucky enough to pick up a 1969 Garcia Mitchell 500 and a hammered metallic green/blue ABU 444. Both in good cosmetic condition but completely frozen.

Well, I’ve taken the opportunity provided by the big freeze to strip them both down and clean them up. I’ve just put both back together and the seem to be working perfectly.

Now, whilst I am very grateful to the anglers who packed them with so much grease that they stopped working - they wouldn’t have cost me so little otherwise - I do have to ask, what sort of angler thinks that simply packing clean grease on top of dirty grease will fix any problem?

These are the 3rd and 4th fixed spool reels I’ve picked up like this - I got a Delmatic and a lovely swan neck Ambidex that way. Is this a common experience? I always assumed all anglers were like the ones I know, they care for their tackle.
Nearly all of the used fixed spool reels I worked on were like that. I began to think it was against any possible loss of parts when opened for 'service'.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Duckett wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:45 pm Late last year I was lucky enough to pick up a 1969 Garcia Mitchell 500 and a hammered metallic green/blue ABU 444. Both in good cosmetic condition but completely frozen.

I bought a Mitchell half bail from a well known angler that was in a similar condition. I cleaned out the old grease, put in some new and it ran beautifully after that.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Not all anglers take care of the fish, never mind a reel, but I would think its just people who don't have any DIY, mechanical ot even just tinkering knowledge. There simply are people (and I have known one or two) out there who can't even use a screwdriver or hammer, so they may think that the more grease you use, the better it will be.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I expect that the reason some old reels are filled with grease is simply because the owners thought it was a good idea. I know that when l was younger l did it.
After all ,if packing a cycle hub,or motorbike head-set with grease was a good thing to do , to a youngster like me it made sense that a fishing reel should receive the same treatment. I had no idea that grease turns to glue after half a century and l bet most of the folk who did the same didn't either.
So ; not stupidity or abuse. Just misplaced love 😏
My fixed spool sea reel still gets a dose of the blue grease used on plant hydraulic arms but it also gets cleaned out and replaced once in a while.
My freshwater fixed spools are fed the fine slippery grey stuff that is used inside air rifles.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Not too long ago, I bought a tube of Mitchell grease from a tackle shop and the store owner asked which reel it was to be used on. I said it was for a Mitchell Match I was servicing and he told me I would need two tubes for a full service.
Maybe some of these grease packed reels had been in the tackle shop for a full service. :Chuckle:

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Compounding BB's view, there are many people who are clueless in respect of the most rudimentary skills necessary. It amazed me last season at the cricket club when erecting the side screens how many people were simply absolutely clueless when it came to using a socket set and spanner. When I was a kid, with just one reel, I always did the basic servicing as it had to last and function the next day (there was no alternative). It's frustrating how poorly some look after their reels, particularly vintage kit that needs regular TLC - little and often (in respect of oil and grease) being the best adage, and most basic reel servicing* is pretty straight forward, particularly if you take some photos on your phone, study schematics and take some time. (*Not applicable to more advanced Altex servicing!)
I suppose the alternative to a reel full of grease is one that's bone dry, rusted and seized!
Regards Cat

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I concur totally Cat! I sighed out loud when I saw a post on another forum requesting basic servicing of older spring and pawl checked fly reels. I mean come on, how basic can you get! Twin drag 2 speed big game reels or some of the more complex fixed spools (be they altex or baitrunnner :Ugeek:) I can understand, but a drop of oil and a brush of grease? No wonder we have become a throw away society.
Talking of grease, there's no doubt the science and technology has moved on. I'd avoid all the tackle brands and the aftermarket Hot Sauce and Reel X type products and find a tube of Yamaha Blue, as recommended by the excellent Alan Tani - a serious reel tinkerer. It will last a full time professional reel technician several years! The last one I bought cost £6. I'm pretty sure it is what Penn etc sell in those miniscule tubes except you get about a pound in weight!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Indeed, and I'm not being facetious, but in many ways we celebrate sustainably...we repair our own rods and reels, rarely buy new, tie our own hooks, re-use, reduce, recycle. A marketing person's nightmare.
In respect of grease I've found Stihl chainsaw grease to be particularly good for old bearings in Dam's, Sup Matics, etc and gun oil for the more delicate - Altex and Ambidex, etc.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”