Wooden reels - would this be sacrilege?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Banksy
Brown Trout

Wooden reels - would this be sacrilege?

Post by Banksy »

I recently acquired three wooden reels of different sizes.
The 4 1/2" reel is lovely, but rather heavy.
The 3" reel is cute, but on the small side.

The 4" reel balances my Floatcaster beautifully, and is very attractive. It is the reel which I would like to become my regular "user".

It spins freely enough, but there is a bit of play on the shaft, both laterally and vertically, so it vibrates when line is pulled off fast or
when it is spun to retrieve line. A little washer to prevent the side movement just creates friction.

Is it feasible to modify the reel somehow, so it runs on bearings?
Or would this be a heretical thing to do?
Or do I need to improve my technique?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Wooden reels - would this be sacrilege?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

If you have access to a lathe then fitting small bearings will be no problem as there are hundreds of bearing sizes to choose from. You will need to remove the brass tube in the middle of the spool but these just press out. Then enlarge the hole and fit a larger diameter tube with an internal bore to suite the chosen sized bearings.
Remounting the check cog can be a problem depending on its overall size and mounting screw positions but they are quite easy to drill and make new mounting holes to suit the new centre tube.
The upper and lower bearings will also need a suitable spacer between them. Other than that it's fairly straightforward and does make the reel more user friendly.

Wal.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I can’t see why not to use something old to make something old and new that you will use :fishing1: mike

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

As Wal. correctly points out, it is not terribly difficult to convert this reel, but if you will permit me to suggest, that by simply replacing the spindle and bronze sleeve in the drum, you will have what amounts to a brand new reel which will last a lifetime and will run equally as good, if not better, than one with ballraces.

However-and again as Wal. says, you will need access to a lathe to do it..

I am a bit busy at the moment, but send a pm if you would like it done.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Yes it would be sacrilege but its your reel.

It looks like it has a brass drum flange suitable for salt water fishing.

BTW it looks like a late model Slater.

The alternative is to find another reel, plenty available.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:32 pm If you have access to a lathe then fitting small bearings will be no problem as there are hundreds of bearing sizes to choose from. You will need to remove the brass tube in the middle of the spool but these just press out. Then enlarge the hole and fit a larger diameter tube with an internal bore to suite the chosen sized bearings.
Remounting the check cog can be a problem depending on its overall size and mounting screw positions but they are quite easy to drill and make new mounting holes to suit the new centre tube.
The upper and lower bearings will also need a suitable spacer between them. Other than that it's fairly straightforward and does make the reel more user friendly.

Wal.
Wal, your statement "other than that it is quite straightforward" highlights the gulf in knowledge and skill between us! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Just a thought from an amateur, since it won't be a trotting reel.
Would a dollop of grease rather oil not smooth it out with the need for modification?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Thank you for your replies, Gentlemen!

I have no aspirations to turn this reel into a trotting reel, or to be able to do a Wallis cast with it (as if I could do that with ANY reel!),
but it would be good to be able to retrieve a float by batting the reel, as I have seen others do when using a wooden reel.
So I would like to do something with it.

Wal - I suspect that a lathe and I would make for a very dangerous combination! I only need to look at a handsaw to start bleeding profusely, and a chisel does not bear thinking about. I am practical in many ways, but have no illusions about my engineering abilities!

I am honoured by your kind offer, Watermole, but am also aware that you already have great demands on your time.
I should hate to think that I was hindering progress on that Aerial Match. :Hat:

I am obviously happy to pay for any work and materials needed to make this reel as "user".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Do you have access to any measuring equipment? A vernier gauge would tell you the outside diameter of the centrepin shaft and then you'd just need to find bearings to fit over it, possibly having to rub the shaft down a little so they just slide on and off when they are eventually fitted to the spool.

There's a useful bearing supplier here:...you just pit in the sizes to the search engine......

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/?gcli ... s4QAvD_BwE

Choose bearings with no dust shields if you want it to trot a stream.

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

I can also recommend Simply Bearings.

I have no experience of using ball bearings without shields in reels, but I'm thinking that they may get grit in them if you take the shields off ??

There are rubber shields that contact the bearing inners and do a good job of sealing the bearings, but they definitely add drag.
There are also metal shields which, theoretically, do not contact and hence should not add drag. Unfortunately, they do not seal, only add a bit of protection, but perhaps better than nothing ?

Cheers - Will

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”