Making the TFF Aerial

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Watermole+
Chub

Making the TFF Aerial

Post by Watermole+ »

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who made their thoughts known in the 'Most desirable Aerial' thread. The object of that was to try and see, what are the best points worst points and most desirable features of any traditional Centre pin reel, then-if at all possible-to try and create something which would incorporate the best of them all!

After a few posts, it became clear that this would be an impossible task because quite naturally, we all have different views and ideas on just about everything about centre pin reels. However; there are some common points which most of us would like to see and so this is a quest to see if it can be done; in short, to make THE TFF AERIAL!

I have already made some of the working drawings (sketches!) but would stress that, they are by no means hard and fast, except for certain dimensions on components like the hub, for example. It would be nice if as many of you as possible could be involved in this project; if there is anything or any feature that you would particularly like to see incorporated, please post your suggestions and we'll see if it is feasible or can be done. I hope that The Forum 'Powers that be' will give nodding approval!!
There is not going to be any rush to complete this so you will all have time to think about it. I'm going to try and do something every week towards it but there may be gaps, as work tends to get in the way still!!
There are still some certain manufacturing processes, about which I am a bit uncertain, but we'll sort them out when we get to them! I have decided to call this The TFF Aerial because it will be a joint venture from you all on this wonderful Forum..

So far, this is the general specification:-

1. Free-running true centre pin, 4" diameter, medium width, metal, full-ventilated drum, supported by 12 spokes, incorporating twin handles, a quick-release and spindle brake.

2. Backplate will be of a reinforced triple laminate, polished wood design and include a reversible, rim-operated, variable, optional check.

With regards to 1., the design has not been finalized in respect of whether it should be from one piece, or the two plates bridged with pillars. There are good arguments for both. If the drum is made from one piece, it will be far easier to make, have no problem with balance or alignment and the line lay will not kink the line. The choice would seem simple if it weren't for the fact that a traditional reel looks so much better aesthetically and far more attractive with pillars..particularly when attached with tiny screws! The problem is that, all such reels are prone to kinking modern, monofilament line, something which never arose when they were first made because mono wasn't around and undressed silk line is very soft and pliable.
However, I think that there might be a way to overcome this...
Personally, I strongly favour pillars and have a couple of ideas about them, more of which later..
I have decided that we should opt for 4" diameter. I know that some like a bigger reel but we have to settle on something and I feel that most would be happy to fish with the former. It also would make it easier for my little lathe to make!! (and I already have some materials in stock!)

MAKING the TFF AERIAL Part 1.

I'm going to start by making the backplate to a certain stage, then the drum and then make all the bits that make them go together. The experience gained when making the Coxon Tribute was invaluable, but there are still many areas for improvement.

The Backplate.

Some of the steps will be the same as the Coxon but I feel that you would like to see everything so have included all.
We started by having a look through the box of wood left-overs from different jobs in the past and found these pieces of well-seasoned mahogany strip wood..

As before, the first step was to cut it into lengths with a saw and then plane it parallel.

This was then marked out with my 30/60/90 degree try-square (Oxford mathematical drawing set!) and sawn up with a 'Junior' hacksaw into individual pieces; we need 24.
Next, the pieces were numbered and carefully sanded down on the 30 degree sides, using a sheet of fine sandpaper laid flat on a piece of glass and keeping one face of each wood piece against a square block to keep it true. We ended up with this..

As you see, I favour 'Araldite' normal setting, not rapid; it thus gives more time for the glue to penetrate into the wood-and more time to fix everything together and adjust if necessary.
Next, I put a piece of greaseproof paper on the glass to prevent the glue sticking to it, then glued the two sets together.

This will be left for 3 days now, to harden out fully before the next stage, which is to start making the backplate centre section. This will be a triple laminate back to improve strength.

With regards for now,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Making the TFF Aerial

Post by Nobby »

I'm already hooked!

I agree that pillars look good, but there's no denying they spoil the line to the degree that you are left with the equivalent of a spring which I feel simply slows your strike right down. I've seen good fish lost by such line damage.

Is there not a way to have an arbour of some kind on the outside of the pillars? Perhaps something in a cork composite or a steamed ring of ply.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I agree Nobby, if this were a commercial project I would say that an optional insert plastic, ply, spring steel would be good. Looking something like the plastic clips found on new line?

Great project! I will be following this avidly.

Steve
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Nice one WM+, look forward to seeing the progress with this and the finished reel. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Another amazing project wm+ looking forward to following its progress. :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm watching this one again with great interest. Even the basic strips of mahogany look attractive.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Can't wait to see it!!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

WM+

It is an honour that you have named the reel after this forum ‘THE TFF AERIAL’. :hat:

It's looking good. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

More amazing post will be coming up for sure :thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Brilliant, another project. You are a master sir......and TFF named. Splendid!!! :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”