A Cork Arbor for a Speedia Narrow Drum Reel

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Banksy
Brown Trout

A Cork Arbor for a Speedia Narrow Drum Reel

Post by Banksy »

I love my Speedia, all the more since it was furnished with a beautiful new brass reel seat by Watermole - thank you again Sir! :Hat:

Its only fault as far as I can tell is the way it kinks the line, so I have bought some self adhesive cork tape, hoping to make a more forgiving arbor.

However, the cork tape is very thin, not even 1/8".
Do I need to fit some sort of rigid plastic arbor around the reel before adding the cork tape?

Apologies for posting this very basic question!

Old Man River
Eel

Re: A Cork Arbor for a Speedia Narrow Drum Reel

Post by Old Man River »

I did exactly the same thing on my Gypsy D'or, but failed to put anything more solid underneath the cork, after a couple of weeks the line was just the same as it had been before the addition of the cork, so I would say yes, something rigid underneath the cork, but it will add weight to the reel.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Anything with adhesive involved will eventually lead to it getting in contact with the line and causing more problems than the line kinking.

To be honest, there is a lot of talk about line kinking being a problem with certain reels but they still seem to be the most popular design.
I have never really found it a problem, whether it be a Speedia, an Aerial or other reel with line pillars as within a few casts the kinking vanishes.

Just a thought but maybe the line is more at fault than the reel.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Putting yards and yards on the reel does not help - max of 50 yards - even that is too much.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I use cork tape for bike handles, no problems. It's quite a bit thicker than the cork tape sold by e.g. H&H.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

There is always the option of 3d printing the Arbour from Macman ?
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... dia+arbour
John

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Keston wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm There is always the option of 3d printing the Arbour from Macman ?
John
I'm glad you reminded me of this. He was going to print some for forum members a while back but he dropped out of sight. It looks a simple enough thing and shouldn't cost too much, does anyone who 'knows about this sort of thing' know if these files on the URL are actually usable? the links for print services on the site are US based. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a UK 3D printer and we might get a batch done. It's had 240 downloads so somebody must be using it.

I went to my local technoprinters to get a quote. They seem to think this would work and it's £22 for 10 (the minimum they'll do) in a standard -plastic which they can do it in a day or so. Add p&p and that'll be about £3.50 a pop. Who's interested?
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Stathamender wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm
Keston wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm There is always the option of 3d printing the Arbour from Macman ?
John
I'm glad you reminded me of this. He was going to print some for forum members a while back but he dropped out of sight. It looks a simple enough thing and shouldn't cost too much, does anyone who 'knows about this sort of thing' know if these files on the URL are actually usable? the links for print services on the site are US based. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a UK 3D printer and we might get a batch done. It's had 240 downloads so somebody must be using it.

I went to my local technoprinters to get a quote. They seem to think this would work and it's £22 for 10 (the minimum they'll do) in a standard -plastic which they can do it in a day or so. Add p&p and that'll be about £3.50 a pop. Who's interested?
Nicely done, I would have one .
John

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I've ordered 10 from my local technoprinter, should be ready by Tuesday. I forgot that Macman designed them so they're printed in pentagonal halves (that is you lock two of them together around the reel to form the complete 10 sided arbor. So you'll need two if you want them. I'm getting 20 'halves' printed for £37.40 so a complete set will be around £4.50 including p&p.

I'll post an announcement when I get them from the printer.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Stathamender wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 pm I've ordered 10 from my local technoprinter, should be ready by Tuesday. I forgot that Macman designed them so they're printed in pentagonal halves (that is you lock two of them together around the reel to form the complete 10 sided arbor. So you'll need two if you want them. I'm getting 20 'halves' printed for £37.40 so a complete set will be around £4.50 including p&p.

I'll post an announcement when I get them from the printer.
I for one, would certainly be interested!
Please put me down as a customer.
I presume that they just snap on to the 10 spokes?
:Hat:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”