reels to fix up

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Thyratron
Ruffe

reels to fix up

Post by Thyratron »

Hi, I've just obtained a small selection of centrepin reels to refurb.
A Rapidex, an Aerialite, and a rimfly.

The Rapidex had a cracked centre boss which I've replaced with a turned aluminium one. I was going to make a brass one, and a tufnel one, but settled for an aluminium one in the end. However a black one would be best, and to this end I've obtained a length of black delrin rod to turn one out of. This will happen later.

The Aerialite I bought because I like the look of polished bakelite. It has damage to the lower flange of the spool, and an inordinate amount of wear in the spindle/bush. I hope to rectify these faults.

The rimfly will be turned into a centrepin for close fishing. As far as I can see, this will require the addition
of an arbor to reduce the line space. The check needs modifying and I would like toincorporate some sort of braking mechanism similar to the trudex/rapidex. Whether these modifications will give me what I want remains to be seen. One other thing, a counterbalance needs to be added tocounter the weight of the handle.

Paul.

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: reels to fix up

Post by NiceRoach »

Good post, great that you are able to do all that - wish I had that skill I'd spray the aluminium boss black :tea:
niceroach

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I will follow this thread with great interest! Very well done so far, Paul. :Hat:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Thyratron
Ruffe

Post by Thyratron »

Nice Roach, thank you for your interest, you also Martin.
with regards to black paint, I think it would be easier for me to turn one for Delrin rather
than mess about with etch primer and black gloss. besides aesthetically speaking, the aluminium does match the chrome on the reel holder.
Paul

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Interesting, all the Rimfly's I've seen were painted silver? (Including my 3). There was once an article in Angling magazine where they stripped the paint and buffed it up, ended up looking like your one.

Thyratron
Ruffe

Post by Thyratron »

Tony.J.Newton

I bought these reels as, two rimfly reels plus one other, and received one rimfly spool and two of these.

This firm I assumed were a previous manufacturers of rimfly before Leeda.
The spools are all identical apart from the centreboss and the colour. All will fit the two bodies.

thank you for your interest.
regards,
Paul

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think British Fly Reels was the last trading name of K P Morrits who had made the Rimfly. Originally in Sutton, Surrey they moved to Cornwall in the late Sixties. Bought out and closed down by Orvis a couple of years ago.

http://www.intrepidreel.com/home.html

https://whiteaddersflyfishingmuseum.wee ... rritt.html

There is some question about their address in Cheam...local vintage tackle enthusiast and author Phil Waller, tells me it was, at least at one time, Gander Green Lane.

The badge on your BFR reel looks to be the last version of Edgar Sealey Products badge when they too were taken over by Gladding.

It seems Morrits may have briefly made fibreglass rods too...and it was Phil Waller who found one!

Thyratron
Ruffe

Post by Thyratron »

Nobby, Happy Christmas.
This forum is amazing! the amount of knowledge that is available is incredible.
Based on your links, the reel I ought to consider altering is probably the intrepid super fly.
This has the benefit of a brake built in. Another I didn't know about is the intrepid new popular centre pin.
best regards,
Paul.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”