My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

Re: My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

Post by Duckett »

Watermole+ wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 pm That is certainly a nice, neat job...Well done!

Please do not take this as critiscm, but it might be an advantage to wind on a few turns of flexible insulating tape on top fairly tautly, making sure that the edges “ride up” the sides a little.

This may prevent the line from “burying” down the sides, when under load...

A commendable first effort though..

wm+
I spent some time over the last few days absorbing everyone’s comments but particularly yours WM. Taken together with Vole’s collapsing cork experience, I decided to give insulating tape a go. Popping into a local hardware store, I found some grey coloured insulating tape which blends in with the colour of the reel rather better than black!

After a couple of practice attempts, the best tools turned out to be a plastic glue spatula and the little finger of my right hand! Below are a couple of pictures of the tape in place and then one of the reel with line loaded (yes, I know, I use more line than some!).

ImageImageImage

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. A further report will follow once I’ve tried the reel on the bank. :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Michael Fish
Stickleback

Post by Michael Fish »

dear all,

as here there might be reading experts on cork fitted reels ... I have a vintage jw young seldex in 3 3/4 ... featuring cork plus tape.

I guess the answer is simple, but not quite so
what is the best method to tie line to this flat surface? what knot, and does it need any more backing?

thanks for any inputs. I‘m looking forward to using the old seldex properly ...

have a nice day

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Here is how I did it. The thin cork strips being a fraction wider than the drum pearled nicely up the edges and left no gap.

viewtopic.php?f=279&t=26157&p=349732&hi ... ex#p349732
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Michael Fish wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:59 am dear all,

as here there might be reading experts on cork fitted reels ... I have a vintage jw young seldex in 3 3/4 ... featuring cork plus tape.

I guess the answer is simple, but not quite so
what is the best method to tie line to this flat surface? what knot, and does it need any more backing?

thanks for any inputs. I‘m looking forward to using the old seldex properly ...

have a nice day
You don't really need a cork arbour on a Seldex, as it already has a
perfectly circular, though small, spool and leaves your line undamaged. Centrepins with arbour pins, like Aerials, Speedias or your Avon Royal Supreme, also work fine without any additional arbour. The only problem with these reels is, that the line gets kinked.
I never put more than about 60 metres of line on my centrepins. I wouldn't use any backing, as it only calls for problems like bedding in of the main line.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I put one on my Seldex simply to increase the diameter of the spool without having to wind on hundreds of yards of old line to build it up, with all the digging in issues that can arise if you manage to catch and reel in something big (unlikely in my case, admittedly).
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”