My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Duckett
Tench

My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

Post by Duckett »

So, my little project this evening was to try an make a cork arbor for a Grice & Young Gypsy D’Or ...... 8 thick line-lays that do terrible thing to line but a reel I rather like.

I have spent quite some time thinking about this and reading various posts here. In the end I put to use both my experience as an N Gauge railway modeller and my girlfriend’s as a musician. I hope the results are of interest.

So, this is the reel:

As a railway modeller, I’m used to working with sheets of cork for things like underlay and track beds (it reduces vibration and noise). So, I had some 2mm thick cork sheet a foot wide. Rather than measuring the width and circumference of the spool, I decided to make 2 card templates out of modelling sheet (a type of flexible polystyrene sheet of varying thicknesses used to make terrain and walls), trimming it until is was a tight fit. I had considered using this for the arbor but didn’t like the stark white appearance and gluing would have been a problem.

Templates made, I used a craft knife to cut 2 pieces of arbor from the cork sheet:

I had decided to make two arbor pieces and glue them together with an overlap, a method I have used before, then gluing the arbor in place using the overlap at either end as the fixing point. I hoped that this would avoid any lump and ensure a better fit. Now, my girlfriend plays the clarinet and mentioned that the cork I use is exactly the same as that used to line the joint in a clarinet. This needs changing regularly and the glue most often used apparently is Evo-Stik Impact. Allowing both instant fixing and excellent damp resistance. So, Evo-Stik Impact it was. This is the two halves glued together:

Gluing the arbor in place was where the impact adhesive realy came good. After a bit of experimentation, I decided to fit the arbor to the reel and only then apply the adhesive to the two ends being careful to position the ends over a line-lay. 5 minutes later, a firm press and the job was done.

I’ve tried to show how the arbor looks and the small gap left after gluing. Being only 4mm thick and very flexible, the cork arbour doesn’t eliminate the impression of the line-lays but rather smooths them out in a way which I think will work. The chief downside is that, now the two ends are glued together, taking it off with destroy it. However, it was only 2 hours work and very relaxing. I shall re-load with line and give it a field testing as soon as I can.

If it works, next on the list are a Speedia and then possibly an Avon Royal Supreme. I’d be very interested in people’s opinions and, above all, if readers can see any downsides to this solution. :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Watermole+
Chub

Re: My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin

Post by Watermole+ »

That is certainly a nice, neat job...Well done!

Please do not take this as critiscm, but it might be an advantage to wind on a few turns of flexible insulating tape on top fairly tautly, making sure that the edges “ride up” the sides a little.

This may prevent the line from “burying” down the sides, when under load...

A commendable first effort though..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done an excellent result, also, Watermole’s tip would be the finishing touch!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Watermole+ wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 pm That is certainly a nice, neat job...Well done!

Please do not take this as critiscm, but it might be an advantage to wind on a few turns of flexible insulating tape on top fairly tautly, making sure that the edges “ride up” the sides a little.

This may prevent the line from “burying” down the sides, when under load...

A commendable first effort though..

wm+
Thanks for this WM (and Lea Dweller). One never learns but by trying and showing to others who have tried, so I'm always open to helpful suggestions and that certainly counts! Thanks.

I had been thinking about line slipping down the side and picked the Gypsy D'Or to try first because, with the line guard fitted, the line lays with a neat gap either side of the spool. The line lays are also convex, so I am unsure if this is caused by the line guard or the line lays, but I'm thinking its the guard. So, I'm going to try without the tape and, if the problem you predict happens, I will follow your advice. My thinking is that your advice will prove essential when I do make an arbor for my Speedia.

All of which raises a question in my mind. Is it even possible to build and fit an arbor where the modern line cant slip down the side? I'm guessing that back in the 50s and earlier the line was just too thick to slip down the sides of an arbor supplied by the reel maker.

My final thought is that, with the modelling sheets I mentioned in my original post, it might just be possible to build up an arbor that is either convex or has a lip at either side. Mind you, more accurate measuring and cutting by me might also help!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I use almost the same method but like Watermole finish with tape to stop the line slippage. I don't glue the parts though - the tape holds it together so removal is much easier. A few turns of 20 lb line or fly backing could also work if wound into the gaps.

As to makers providing arbours I personally have never seen any - except for fixed spool reels. Anyone know of any made?

The Speedia arbours sold on here are great and do not need tape as they are a very tight fit indeed. Let's hope this idea can be used for other centre pin reels!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

:Hat: Excellent ideas and suggestions which I shall borrow to make an arbor for my Supreme

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I did try unsuccessfully not to use tape - but no matter how careful with the width and seating of the cork I was totally unable to make the line stay entirely on the cork arbour every time.

It can be a disaster if you let the line slide down the side - snagged and then possibly a line snap!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:46 pm I use almost the same method but like Watermole finish with tape to stop the line slippage. I don't glue the parts though - the tape holds it together so removal is much easier. A few turns of 20 lb line or fly backing could also work if wound into the gaps.

As to makers providing arbours I personally have never seen any - except for fixed spool reels. Anyone know of any made?

The Speedia arbours sold on here are great and do not need tape as they are a very tight fit indeed. Let's hope this idea can be used for other centre pin reels!
Regarding arbours (I think I came over all American English earlier!) from manufacturers, I may have come to an erroneous conclusion. Over the past few years I’ve seen a number of Aerial Model C815s with very well made cork arbours that looked as old as the reels they were fitted to. If one reel came with them ............

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin%

Post by Vole »

The last post on the page below shows what happened to the cork sheet arbour liner I made, using model railway scenery cork. It made me a devout convert to Matt McHugh's 3-d printable jobs.
Not all cork is the same, of course, and I'll be interested to learn if you have more success than I did; good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=11974&hilit=Arbour&start=70
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Duckett
Tench

Re: My first attempt at making a cork arbor for a centrepin%

Post by Duckett »

Vole wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:42 pm The last post on the page below shows what happened to the cork sheet arbour liner I made, using model railway scenery cork. It made me a devout convert to Matt McHugh's 3-d printable jobs.
Not all cork is the same, of course, and I'll be interested to learn if you have more success than I did; good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=11974&hilit=Arbour&start=70
Ouch! Nasty! If I’d spotted that post, I might have given my bright idea a miss! However, it’s done now, so I may as well give it a go in the bank ...... and take a spare ‘pin! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I’ll report back.

Out of interest Vole, did you ever try modellers sheet that I mention in my original post?

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”