pin conversion

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Martin

pin conversion

Post by Martin »

Not sure where to put this so feel free to move it.

A bit ago my mate picked up a Leeds centrepin but the spool tension clamp didn't work so he asked if I'd look at it for him and while I was at it could I fit some handles as he didn't realise it was a batting reel when he got it.
The tensioner was easily sorted someone had added an extra washer between the bearing shroud and the back plate meaning the spool was standing off a couple of millimetres.

I've finally got round to turning 2 New spokes on my lunchbreaks at work and turned some handles that I'm not fully happy with so I'll turn a couple more, all that's left to do is fully assemble it once I've re-turned the handles then balance it up

Anyone got any ideas on the best way to seal the handles as I don't want them swelling through water ingress. It's a bugbear of mine, I've a $250 fly reel that's fitted with a wooden handle and they obviously didn't seal it very well as its no longer round after swelling with the grain you'd think for that price they would of taken it into consideration

Nailbourne

Re: pin conversion

Post by Nailbourne »

Drop the handles in linseed oil for a day or two, and let dry?

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

The best way is to get some acetone, melt some perspex in it and them drop the handles in. Impregnated with acrylic handles. Soak them for a week should do.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Martin

Post by Martin »

Ah proportionate should of thought of that really from lure building

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Martin, wood handles are never a good idea, unless you use ebony or rosewood its just too unstable. I would turn a couple of new handles from bone, horn or some kind of plastic.
There is a supplier on ebay who does all sorts of materials which are ideal for handle knobs etc. Heres a link to one of his sales.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-mm-Horn-Do ... 58943dc1d4

Wal.

Martin

Post by Martin »

Excellent thanks wal, I'll let my mate see how he gets on with wood then suggest I turn some horn if they swell, he's only using it as a winter grayling pin so it won't see year round use

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i sometimes make handles from cork ,cork is hard wearing and can be varnished and they look great on any reel .you might even get away with dying them black to match the reel .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If its any help Martin, I've got one of those sat in the garage somewhere. Mine died after just three outings when the bearing seized, chummy that sold it refused to do anything about it. At the time I was unwell and let it drop - that wouldn't happen nowadays :Evil:

Anyway, mine has all the bits - including handles, so you may be able to cobble something together from the pair. If you want it just pm me your address.

Martin

Post by Martin »

In the end I went for 3 liberal coats of superglue

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Tell your friend to watch his thumb or finger on the drum milled edge if a fish runs and he brakes it..I know that with larger fish it burns you from the friction caused. :Hat: Reedling.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”