KELLY KETTLE

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: KELLY KETTLE

Post by Snape »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am I have never used river water although have often thought about it, does anyone use river water in their Kelly?
Yes. I only use river or lake water for drinking when fishing.
I use a 'Travel Tap' which allows you to drink any water that isn't salty (ie freshwater). It filters up to 1600 litres and auto shuts off when it have expired. I have tested in thoroughly and filled it with stagnant water and drink it straight from the bottle. Can't recommend it enough.

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Snape wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am I have never used river water although have often thought about it, does anyone use river water in their Kelly?
Yes. I only use river or lake water for drinking when fishing.
I use a 'Travel Tap' which allows you to drink any water that isn't salty (ie freshwater). It filters up to 1600 litres and auto shuts off when it have expired. I have tested in thoroughly and filled it with stagnant water and drink it straight from the bottle. Can't recommend it enough.

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php
Seems to be a quite similar filtering system. I love the Sawyer due to its size. It fits into my jeans pocket if need to. The attached carbon filter (not really necessary) is a bit bulky but still smaller than a fishing reel. The filter itself doesn't leak, too. Looking at the pictures of the Travel tap the Sawyer seems to be a lot smaller as it only has a bag that folds small and no bottle is needed. Although LIDL standard plastic bottles do match the screwing.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

A good flask is so important. Particularly on those cold days when you want something hot to drink.
I'm a hot water and teabag fan, too many flasks in the past have disappointed, lukewarm tea that tastes of aluminium and cholera.
I'm currently mulling over thermal mugs, with a lid. On short trips could I take a nice cuppa with me? or are they the inevitable disaster waiting to happen ?

Kelly kettles have always appealed to me as fine things, weight and size would preclude me using one, but I won't deny there is something fundamentally satisfying about boiling up tea on the bank using the old camping gaz.

All the best.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

They're just good fun, something about a real flame akin to an open fire at home? In colder weather they are a comforting sight and the smell of wood smoke adds to the experience in my view. Perhaps not the best option if roving all day long though? There's no doubt that you get a better cup of tea from freshly boiled water! :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

My Kelly is a Stanley, tea and coffee is fine plus no hassle of firelighting etc. Best flask I've had
each to their own mind :tea:

Best
niceroach

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Ideal at work parties! Free hot drinks for the workers.

Personally I never drink tea - or take a flask - unless I need a cold drink in the summer.

Filled with ice cubes and orange squash is my preferred tipple!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I guess on average I spend around 60 hours a week angling. short sessions of a few hours I carry a flask. Longer than a few hours and I would be totally lost without my Kelly Kettle Scout. I brew regularly and cook a main meal a day plus porridge in the morning on it.
I have gas and petrol stoves but it's rare they see the light of day. This last year I have only used one small gas canister. In the past one would barely last me a week-end.
Summer and winter I rely on my Kelly.
A Chinese meal I conjured up on the bank last week.
Started making things difficult and lighting it with a fire stick after receiving a gift from Fennel.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

6o hours a week fishing - wow!! On the strength of NiceRoach's recommendation above I ordered a Stanley flask from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today.....thank you for the advice
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm I used a Kelly for a couple of years back in the days when I carried too much gear anyway but I found I enjoyed my fishing much more as I trimmed down the amount of stuff I took with me.
When I look back I think they are too bulky, always filthy and just too much of a faff on for a cup of tea.
These days I just take a flask of tea or coffee but I do occasionally use a small gas stove, kettle and pan if decide to stop out all night. A fresh cup of tea and a bacon grill sarnie at first light is wonderful.

Wal.
What he said although they are a bit of fun with the grandchildren (who help lug all that clutter about)
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Troydog wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:41 pm 6o hours a week fishing - wow!! On the strength of NiceRoach's recommendation above I ordered a Stanley flask from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today.....thank you for the advice
It helps pay the mortgage. :Scared:

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”