The Slider Float

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Mark
Head Bailiff

The Slider Float

Post by Mark »

I have never fished a slider float before but want to have ago, I don't need a huge float as I am only fishing in about 14ft of water 20 yards out.

So what's the best way to go about this and what is the best slider knot to use etc. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: The Slider Float

Post by Santiago »

With a good slider float you don't need any special knots up the line.

In 'Hooked on Floats ' there's a photo of a very good one that works. I made two of them and they stop just at the right depth. See p339, designed by a chap called Jack Clayton.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Mark wrote:I have never fished a slider float before but want to have ago, I don't need a huge float as I am only fishing in about 14ft of water 20 yards out.

So what's the best way to go about this and what is the best slider knot to use etc. :Hat:
In my opinion, everything you need to know about fishing sliders is in the Billy Lane book. If you don't have a copy I can post some of the relevant pages. There's also some good advice here: http://www.goldmedalfloats.co.uk/slider.html. The thing to remember when moving the knot is to put tension on the line, which, with monofil at least, reduces the diameter and makes it easier to move the knot. I believe Dick Walker also wrote about using the slider but, as far as I can recall, he mostly said Billy Lane got it right.

At that distance, you could always use one of those Polaris floats that don't need a stop knot. They work reasonably well if not as well as the classic Lane way, they are I think best suited to float-legering with either a bomb or feeder rather than the classic way of presenting a bait just above the floor of the swim. The Lane method I've found will give much more sensitivity to lift bites although, I suppose, you could use the Polaris as a kind of lift method with the bait anchored by an SSG or AAA an inch or two from the bait.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks Iain, I do have the Billy Lane book so will give it a good read later.

I do like the look of the float on p339 Trevor, did you use a porcelain eye or just a piece of copper. Do you think this could work with a quill.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Jack Clayton - THE swing tip man.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I made mine using enamelled copper wire for both the bottom eye and the side eye. Yes it should work with quill, possibly a large swan quill. The key part of the design is having both eyes about an inch apart with the side eye offset at 90 degrees to the bottom eye, as in the photo in the book.

I made mine with reedmace, but I think quill would be better because the shape is already very similar to Jack's original.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

I just attach the float, usually a large crow quill, waggler style with float stops and move the bottom float stop down near the first split shot. Using a 13ft float rod you can fish to depths of 8 - 10ft quite comfortably. This alleviates the need for using stop-knots. Hope this helps.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Sorry Mark, just realised you will be fishing in 14ft - doh! If you use a small enough float stop it may pass through the rod rings, depending on the rod you are using. An Avon type rod would probably be ok.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Mick wrote:Sorry Mark, just realised you will be fishing in 14ft - doh! If you use a small enough float stop it may pass through the rod rings, depending on the rod you are using. An Avon type rod would probably be ok.
The important thing about stop knots is not to trim the ends too short, doing that makes them stick out like bristles and catch in the rings.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I use a small feederlink with the link replaced with silicone tube to attach the float of choice.
for the sliding knot a four turn nail knot using the Orvis nailknotter gadget. Cos me eyes aint wot they used to be.
Attached bottom end only the link has a built in swivel to ease potential tangles.

Alternatively attach the float on say a four foot link of mono ten feet up the line which will give a hinge effect for casting.
Using a sliding knot will allow for fine adjustment.

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”